Seymour Art Gallery
Nov. 2, 2016
Call for Artists Description:
Eligibility: Open to artists in British Columbia. The Discovery exhibition is looking to provide exposure to new and emerging artists; therefore eligibility is limited to artists who self-identify as emerging artists.
Theme: Over the coming years, the Discovery exhibitions will explore a selection of the principles and elements of design. The Discovery 2017 theme is: Balance.
Entry Fee: There is a $10.00 non-refundable jury fee. You do not need to be a member of the Seymour Art Gallery to submit, but selected artists must become members ($25 for annual membership).
Presentation: Work must be suitably prepared for exhibition, ready for presentation. Wall mounted work must be appropriately framed or stretched with finished sides and properly wired for hanging. Work not properly prepared for exhibition may not be exhibited.
Availability: Work for exhibition must be available for drop off on Tuesday January 3, 2017 and remain on display for the duration of the Discovery exhibition: January 5 - 28, 2017.
Sales: The Seymour Art Gallery will retain 35% on all works (or orders) sold. Work not for sale (NFS) should be labeled as such and should include a value for insurance purposes.
Criteria: There are no restrictions as to media or size of artworks. Fine or applied art in all media, individually or collaboratively produced, traditional and indigenous work is welcome. Only original works are eligible. Artists can submit up to three pieces per artist or artist collaboration. Work must have been completed after January 2016 and must not have been previously shown in a public juried exhibition. Artists must include a one-paragraph artist statement explaining how the submitted artwork(s) address the theme: Balance.
Awards and prizes: Emerging Artist Award $300, Honorable Mentions
How to Apply:
1. Provide your contact information: name, mailing address, phone number
2. Artists may submit up to three high resolution jpeg images for consideration. Please label each image with your first initial and last name, followed by the dimensions of the piece (eg: ppicasso12x12.jpeg)
3. Include an image list in the body of the email containing the title, medium (eg: oil on canvas), price (or insurance value if not for sale) and dimensions (height x width, in inches) of each piece
4. In the body of the email, include an artist biography maximum 500 words and one-paragraph artist statement explaining how the submitted artwork addresses the theme: Balance
5. Pay the non-refundable $10 jury fee by telephone at 604.924.1378 or in person at the gallery
6. SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED COMPLETE UNLESS THEY INCLUDE ALL REQUIRED INFORMATION
Selected artists will be notified by November 22.