City of New Westminster, Arts Services, Office of the CAO
Nov. 15, 2016
Call for Artists Description:
The Anvil Centre is accepting applications from local and regional artists for its inaugural Artists-in-Residence Program. The Anvil Centre AiR is a self-directed residency program offering opportunities for artists to focus on work in a creative environment, with dedicated studio time. This residency accommodates artists and artist collectives working in sculpture, print, fibre, drawing, painting, writing and literary arts, music, dance and performance for a four-week period for research, development and production of new or ongoing bodies of work. In exchange, artists will facilitate an outreach program for the local community during their residency.
Artist in Residence facilities include:
- Secure office and storage space
- Use of available cultural studios during Anvil Centre hours
- Studio furniture, sinks, power outlets and built-in sound system
- Printing press, subject to availability
- Artists are responsible for personal expenses including materials related to their work during their residency tenure.
Deadline for 2017: November 15th 2016
Participants are selected by impartial adjudicators on the basis of their submitted material. In
addition to artistic merit, consideration will be given to the likelihood that the artist's work will
benefit from the program. Applicants will be notified of their status as soon as adjudication is
complete, approximately 4 weeks following the application deadline.
How to Apply:
Please submit by email in ONE PDF DOCUMENT*:
- Subject Line: Anvil Centre Artist in Residence 2017
- Name, address, email & telephone number
- Available dates, starting January 2017
- Project Summary and Bio (on a single page, 100-word artist bio and a 100-word summary of the project)
- Detailed Project Proposal and Outreach Program (In 500 words, describe the conceptual framework, mediums you intend to use, accompanying outreach program and how this residency will help develop your creative practice.)
- Current CV (maximum 3 pages, describing academic, professional and other relevant experience)
- A minimum of 5 images of past work (JPG or PNG format)
A group leader must complete a single application and supporting materials on behalf of the
whole group. Visual support materials should be provided for the collective, individual resumes
and bios should be provided for each member. Collaborative groups share studio space.
*Please note that the maximum file size accepted by City of New Westminster email is 8MB. If
your PDF file is larger, please email a link via WeTransfer or Dropbox. All submission
requirements must be in one file.
Contact Name: Kristina Fiedrich
Contact Email: email@example.com
Contact Phone: (604) 515-3837