Seymour Art Gallery
Oct. 3, 2016
Call for Artists Description:
Seymour Art Gallery is a public art gallery located in the heart of Deep Cove, North Vancouver. Established in 1985, the Gallery has established a high standard in our balanced program of visual and performing arts. We welcome more than 25,000 visitors annually to our gallery, Gallery Shop, and special events. Along with a busy exhibition schedule, we present performance events — including music, artist demonstrations, interactive art-making, and events for children. The Seymour Art Gallery also plays an educational role, by organizing programs for schools and activities for the general public in conjunction with our exhibitions. We are seeking proposals in all media for our 2017 exhibition schedule.
1. Covering Letter – Introduce yourself (or your group) and include a description of the artwork you want to show and what you are proposing to do in the gallery. We are looking for exhibitions and artwork that will challenge visitors and provoke conversation. In your artist statement, please include what the work is about thematically and why it is important that the public has the opportunity to engage with the exhibition. If you require any special equipment, describe your specific needs. Work in all media will be considered. 300 words maximum.
2. Curriculum Vitae – Include your address, phone number and email, education, exhibition history, teaching or employment related to your art. Please also include mention of awards and scholarships, bibliography of reviews or articles. 300 words maximum.
3. Artist Statement – Describe the focus of your recent work and your objectives. 500 words maximum.
4. Images (CD only) – Include 10 – 20 images of the work you are proposing to exhibit. If a group proposal, send up to 3 images for each artist. Digital images should be jpg format; each image should be at least 800 x 600 pixels. Must be PC compatible – check CD before submitting. Do not send original works of art or photographic prints.
5. Image List – Include a list of images with corresponding numbers, title of work, medium, dimensions, price (or NFS) and year of completion.
(Optional) Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope – Envelope should have adequate postage for return of submission material and be padded or lined with cardboard. Applications with no postage will not be returned. Please do not mark for pickup. No email submissions please.
Membership in the Seymour Art Gallery Society is not required in order to make a submission to the gallery. Selected artists must become members of the Seymour Art Gallery Society. Individual membership will be required for each artist in a solo or group exhibition. Annual membership is $25. With the exception of our fundraising exhibitions, the Discovery juried exhibition, and Start with Art, artists cannot appear in group exhibitions more frequently than every 3 years. Artists may not have solo exhibitions at Seymour Art Gallery more frequently than every 5 years. As a public gallery with a mandate for education and enrichment, Seymour Art Gallery presents at least one program with every exhibition; submitting artists must be willing to present an artist talk or demonstration, or have a suggestion for another program (performance, music, dance, etc) related to their exhibition. Seymour Art Gallery presents an opening reception, produces printed materials (including posters and invitation cards), and organizes publicity for exhibitions (press release, social media, online listings, and evites) at no cost to the artist(s). As a non-profit gallery, we are pleased to offer an honorarium for artist talks or presentations, but regret that we do not have a budget for artist exhibiting fees, shipping, or travel for our regular exhibitions at this time.
How to Apply:
Please mail or drop off your submission in the format outlined above, to the gallery at: Seymour Art Gallery 4360 Gallant Ave North Vancouver BC V7G 1L2 No email submissions, please.