Port Moody Arts Centre
Mar. 30, 2018
Call for Artists Description:
Port Moody Arts Centre invites you to develop an entry for the 13th presentation of Wearable Art.
Started in 2002, the Wearable Art Awards is committed to challenging artists of all mediums to push their imaginations to create evocative, imaginative and thought provoking sculpture for the human body.
The Wearable Art Awards is not a fashion show. It is a multi-media performance where the human body becomes a living, breathing, moving canvas. We are looking for more than a ‘pretty dress’. We are asking you to go deep into your imagination to create an inspired piece of artwork that challenges what most consider to be wearable, or every-day fashion.
• The theme of the 2018 WAA is “Social Fabric”. We are excited to present this event at the same time as Vancouver hosts the Textile Society of America Biennial Conference.
• All entries must be wearable, but do not need to be practical in any way. Please keep in mind that entries will be presented on a red carpet and need to withstand being taken on and off human models and mannequins for multiple photo shoots, fittings and presentations.
• All accepted entries will be included in the awards performance as well as a static five week long exhibition held at Port Moody Arts Centre.
• Entries must not have been previously exhibited in the Tri-Cities area (Port Moody, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam).
This initial Call for Entry will give you time to conceive, plan and execute your entries (an artist or artist team can submit up to three entries). More details will be released soon regarding prize money, details of application package requirements and shipping information.
Entries will be judged based on the following criteria weighted in favour of “wow” factor and conceptual message, specifically as it relates to the theme of “Social Fabric”.
• Wearability - All entries must be wearable
• Creativity and originality
• Design and the use of multiple elements and techniques
• Quality of workmanship and construction
• Representation of the theme “Social Fabric”
• Overall presentation focused on “wow” factor
• Conceptual meaning and impact
How to Apply:
Please email the Port Moody Arts Centre's General Manager.