The Arts Council of New Westminster
Aug. 31, 2017
Call for Artists Description:
The Arts Council of New Westminster aims to have exhibitions that feature a variety of visual arts by a wide range of artists from the Metro Vancouver region. The exhibition program aims to reflect both the cultural and artistic diversity of contemporary art and to serve as an educational forum for the citizens of New Westminster and surrounding communities.
How to Apply:
How to Apply for an Exhibition
The Gallery Exhibitions Selection Committee (GESC) meets once a year, in the fall, to consider applications for the following years. A well-prepared proposal helps in the selection.
To be considered at the next GESC meeting, please submit the following:
• A selection of 8-10 digital images of proposed work you wish to exhibit. Digital images should be jpg format at 150 dpi; each image should be a maximum of 800 x 600 pixels. Image files should be clearly labelled with your Name, the Title of Work, Size in inches and Medium. Example: Artist-Title-Size-Medium.jpg
• Contact information (mailing address, phone number, email, website).
• An Artist Statement giving your aims and objectives as an artist in relation to your work.
• A Curriculum Vitae (3 pages max.) to establish a better understanding of your background and experience.
• A written proposal for public programming to be produced and hosted by the artist at the Gallery. The public programming event must take place during regular posted open hours, on either a Saturday or Sunday, during the exhibit. Proposed public programming may be events such as an artist talk, performance art, theoretical or technical seminar, live drawing/painting, social practice etc.
Please include all written material as PDF files and submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Exhibition Submission – The Gallery at Queen’s Park” in the subject line. Please ensure that attachments total less than 5MB.
Deadlines for submission are August 31 of each year. Applications will not be rolled over. To be considered for an application for the following year, please re-apply. PLEASE NOTE: The proposed exhibition submission must not have been showcased in New Westminster in the preceding 12 months, nor (upon acceptance) be displayed in any other New Westminster gallery during the exhibiting year.
The Selection/Exhibition Process
• The committee will consider all applications received and reply by email to each applicant, stating whether the work has been accepted. If your application has been successful, you will be contacted by telephone, an exhibition date will be confirmed and a contract will be sent to you, outlining your responsibilities and providing other details and dates. A signed contract is required before the exhibition can proceed.
• The Gallery at Queen’s Park has two exhibition rooms: The Eileen Montague Room and the Studio with a total linear hanging space of about 28 m (90 ft). Work must be suitably framed, ready for hanging, or, if three-dimensional, appropriately mounted or otherwise ready for presentation.
• To exhibit, you must be a current member of the Arts Council of New Westminster at the time of your exhibition. The Council does not charge for exhibiting, nor does it pay an artist to exhibit. The Council receives a 25% donation on sales of work in the Gallery.
• Artists whose work has already been exhibited in the gallery are invited to apply, allowing a 3-year interim between applications.
• Be sure that all documents include your name, a working title of the proposed exhibition and complete contact information; phone number, email address, website and postal code.
• Email submissions are preferred. For physical submissions, please phone the gallery at 604-525-3244 for equitable access procedures.
• DO NOT send composite images or prepared slideshows
• Please test all documents on a PC computer to ensure compatibility
Submit your application via email to email@example.com
For more information call the Gallery at 604-525-3244.