City of New Westminster
Nov. 15, 2017 (4:30 p.m.)
Call for Artists Description:
The Anvil Centre is accepting applications from local and regional artists for its inaugural Artist in Residence Program. The Anvil Centre AiR is a self-directed residency program offering opportunities for artists to focus on work in a creative environment, with dedicated studio time. This residency accommodates artists and artist collectives working in sculpture, print, fibre, drawing, painting, writing and literary arts, music, dance and performance for a two-month period for research, development and production of new or ongoing bodies of work. In exchange, artists will facilitate an outreach program for the local community during their residency.
Artist in Residence facilities include:
- Secure office with storage space
- Use of available cultural studios during Anvil Centre hours*
- Studio furniture, sinks, power outlets and built-in sound system
- Printing press, subject to availability
- Artists are responsible for personal expenses including materials related to their work during their residency tenure.
*This residency does not include access to the Anvil Centre Theatre facilities.
Participants are selected by impartial adjudicators on the basis of their submitted material. In addition to artistic merit, consideration will be given to the likelihood that the artist's work will benefit from the program. Applicants will be notified of their status as soon as adjudication is complete, approximately 4 weeks following the application deadline.
Please note: City of New Westminster staff, members of the City of New Westminster Public Art Advisory Committee and jury panel members are not eligible to apply. Alumni of the 2017 Anvil Centre AiR are eligible to reapply for the 2019 calendar year.
How to Apply:
Please submit by email in ONE PDF DOCUMENT*:
*Please note that the maximum file size accepted by City of New Westminster email is 8MB.
- Email Subject Line: Anvil Centre Artist in Residence 2018
- Name, address, email & telephone number
- Available dates, starting January 2018
- Project Summary and Bio (on a single page, 100-word artist bio and a 100-word summary of the project)
- Detailed Project Proposal and Outreach Program (In 500 words, describe the conceptual framework, mediums you intend to use, accompanying outreach program and how this residency will help develop your creative practice.)
- Current CV (maximum 3 pages, describing academic, professional and other relevant experience)
- A maximum of 10 images of past work (please include image list or captions)
- All submission requirements must be in one file.
A group leader must complete a single application and supporting materials on behalf of the whole group. Visual support materials should be provided for the collective, individual resumes and bios should be provided for each member. Collaborative groups share studio space.
Deadline for 2018:
November 15th 2017. Late submissions will not be considered.
Please direct questions or email submissions to:
Kristina Fiedrich, BFA MAA MA
Arts Programmer, Cultural Services, Anvil Centre
Office of the CAO
T 604.515.3837 | C 778.773.0587
City of New Westminster
777 Columbia Street, New Westminster, BC V3M 1B6