The following information is excerpted from a call for applications issued by the City of Vancouver.
Applications are now open for the Artist Studio Award for the 2018-2021 term. The program offers seven subsidized artist studios for low-income emerging professional artists.
The program is part of the City of Vancouver's efforts to provide artist studios to support low-income, emerging professional artists working in any artistic discipline at a critical moment in their career.
Professional artists who are residents of Vancouver or community members of the Musqueam, Squamish or Tsleil-Waututh First Nations are eligible to apply. Applicants must be able to demonstrate artistic excellence and financial need.
Seven studios are available at affordable rents for the three year term. Five are live-workspaces that include working spaces and accommodation. The remaining two studios are work-only, which does not include accommodation.
All seven studios will have studio open houses in September. Exact dates and times to be announced.
- Studio open houses: September 7-9 (exact schedule TBD)
- Application walk-through: August 23 at 10:00 am (registration opens Aug 10)
- Application submission deadline: September 13, 2017 at 4:00 pm
- Term of studio occupancy: Approximately 3 years
- Studios are awarded through a peer assessment review process
- The program began in 1995 and has completed six successful terms
- The last time artist studio award was offered (2014), 131 artists applied for 7 studios
- The studios offered in this program are made possible by the City of Vancouver's community amenity contribution requirements for larger developments