The Rio Tinto Alcan Performing Arts Award is a $60,000 production fund open to performing arts companies resident in British Columbia.
Administered by The Cultch, The Rio Tinto Alcan Performing Arts Award was conceived to recognize the achievements of British Columbia performing arts companies and to foster the creation of new work by providing a significant financial investment in a new production by the chosen company.
The Rio Tinto Alcan Performing Arts Award rotates annually between Dance, Theatre, and Opera/Music (note that no company may apply more than once in any three-year cycle). The premiere run of performances of the selected production will be presented in one of The Cultch’s theatres as a key component of the award. The premiere will take place in the spring of the year following the announcement of the chosen company. In addition, beginning in 2014, a chamber version of the selected production will tour within BC.
Only professional performing arts companies registered as non-profit societies in British Columbia are eligible to apply. Artists and companies who are not registered as non-profit societies may apply through an umbrella organisation with non-profit status. In the case of a co-production, only one company may submit an application.
Applicants are required to complete and submit the application form to The Rio Tinto Alcan Performing Arts Award c/o The Cultch, 1895 Venables Street, Vancouver, BC, V5L 2H6. Applications must be received by Monday, December 31, 2012. Faxed or emailed applications will not be accepted. Please do not staple your application.
- Applications must include an independently prepared financial statement or a copy of the company’s most recent audited financial statements.
- Applications may be accompanied by the following support materials:
- One videotape or DVD containing a maximum of 10 minutes of performance footage. If you wish to have these materials returned to you, please enclose a self-addressed envelope with sufficient postage.
- 5 additional support pages (either promotional material, resumes of artistic personnel, reviews of the company’s past work, or letters of appraisal for the proposed project). Any pages over and above the allotted 5 will not be included in Adjudication Committee packages.
- In the case of a co-production application made by an individual artist (or group), a Letter of Intent from the non-profit society partner (presenter/producer) is required.
Receipt of your application will be acknowledged by email.
The award will be adjudicated by a committee of professionals with artistic and/or administrative expertise drawn from the British Columbia arts community. An effort is made to include adjudicators from various regions of the province.
The Adjudication Committee will evaluate applications on the basis of artistic merit and feasibility of the proposed project, taking into consideration the company’s history and contribution to the art form as well as its administrative support.
Announcement of the Award
The winner will be announced at the opening night performance of the 2013 Rio Tinto Alcan Award on March 5, 2013.
For full rules and conditions of entry and the application form, visit the Cultch website: http://www.thecultch.com/content/view/18/54/