- Arts Community Responds To PavCo's Accusations
- Tue, Mar 1st, 2011
- "The artists may have turned on the lights, but nobody likes what they see," said Alliance for Arts and Culture executive director Amir Ali Alibhai in response to PavCo chairman David Podmore's accusation that arts organizations are behind the public opposition to the Edgwater Casino expansion...
- Philosphers' Cafe: Arts Funding - Frill Or Necessity?
- Thu, Feb 10th, 2011
- Philosophers’ Cafe: The Arts - Frill or Necessity? Alliance for Arts and Culture executive director Amir Ali Alibhai will take part in a discussion on whether our tax dollars should support the arts and, if so, by how much? The evening will be moderated by Vancouver artist Pnina Granirer, co-...
- Public Hearing On Edgewater Expansion
- Wed, Feb 2nd, 2011
- Vancouver Not Vegas! Come to a Public Forum on the proposed Edgewater Casino expansion at the Chinese Cultural Centre (50 East Pender St.) on Wednesday, February 9 from 7 to 10 p.m.
This is a chance for you to make your feelings known about the proposed Edgewater mega-casino planned for...
- Simon Brault To Speak In Vancouver
- Wed, Feb 2nd, 2011
- Simon Brault, Canada Council vice-chair, CEO of the National Theatre School, and the author of No Culture, No Future, will give a talk in Vancouver at 5 p.m. on Sunday, March 6 in the Birmingham Studio at the Scotiabank Dance Centre.
Mr. Brault will be joined in a panel discussion by Max...
- Live Performance Regulatory Review Open Houses
- Thu, Jan 6th, 2011
- In the Fall of 2009, Cultural Services launched a regulatory review on Live Performance Venues.
This multi-phase, multi-year review is intended to address key issues of outdated and incompatible by-laws affecting the arts, culture and creative sectors as well as improving knowledge and...
- City Seeks Grant Committee Members
- Thu, Aug 26th, 2010
- The City of Vancouver’s Cultural Services is looking for members of the creative community to participate in one of many upcoming cultural grant assessment committee meetings.
Committee members will have expertise in one or more of the following areas: theatre, dance, music, festivals, visual arts...
- As we Await Official News on the $10 Million
- Tue, Jul 13th, 2010
- We will soon learn what the provincial government has in mind for the $10 Million “new money” for the arts and culture that was announced on Budget Day early in the spring.
According to statements in the Georgia Straight, it seems that a significant portion is going to something called “B.C. Spirit...
- VIEWPOINT: Dear Premier Campbell
- Mon, Feb 15th, 2010
- An open letter to Premier Gordon Campbell by Graham Scholes:
Dear Premier Gordon Campbell,
I am sure that the opening ceremonies for the Olympics moved you to the same extent as it did for millions of people across this Land. The Art of this performance with its visual and preforming...
- EVENT: Lawrence Lessig Talk at W2 tomorrow (Feb. 25)! Don't miss it!
- Fri, Feb 12th, 2010
- W2 (112 West Hastings) will present the live stream of an address by Lawrence Lessig, the foundational voice of the free culture movement, from the Berkman Centre at Harvard on Thursday, February 25, 2010 from 3 to 4:30 pm PST.
Admission at W2 is free.
The talk will cover copyright in a...
- Eat, drink, and be safe... for free!
- Tue, Apr 28th, 2009
- There's still room at SHAPE's free panel discussion on the Art of Safety on May 4th from 3pm-5pm at the New Revue Stage on Granville Island. The panel is followed by a wine and cheese reception catered by Les Amis Fromage. RSVP by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and noting Arts Reception in the subject...