Call for Mural Artist: Kerrisdale Community Centre
The Kerrisdale Community Centre Society would like to commission an artist to create a mural in the front lobby entrance. This mural aims to reflect the diversity and history of the neighbourhood as well as celebrate the community. The mural would be created in partnership with members of the community through a series of workshops facilitated by the artist. These workshops will help develop the theme and overall design of the mural.
The Kerrisdale Community Centre recently hosted an Artist in Communities project Kerrisdale: A Collective Memory http://kerrisdalecollectivememory.blogspot.com/. Recognising the success of this project the desire is to build on that momentum using archive and contemporary images already collected. The association has also identified that they want to reflect current programs at the pool, rink and community centre in this project.
Skills and abilities:
- A strong interest in and commitment to socially engaged practice, collaboration and community-based best practices.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to interact with a wide range of people.
- Organizational skills; interpersonal skills; community outreach,
- Experience with various media including a range of software programs such as Photoshop and the necessary skills to scan, manipulate and upload materials.
- Ability to work independently as well as a member of a team.
Payment: The artist fee will be $3,500.00
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applicants should e-mail a CV along with a brief cover letter in the email body explaining why they are interested in the project. As well please include two low res j-pegs of related work they have done or links to blog or websites of your current work. Please include names and contact information of two references to your CV page.
email: Kristi Douglas, Recreation Programmer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kerrisdale Community Centre, 5851 West Boulevard, Vancouver
Deadline for applications: Thursday, April 5th at 4:00 pm