Nov. 14, 2016
Be a part of something new! Vancouver Opera is a professional opera company located in Vancouver, BC. For 2016-17, Vancouver Opera proudly presents a landmark season and the first-ever Vancouver Opera Festival. In keeping with a progressive vision of producing innovative, ground-breaking and internationally lauded operas for more than 50 years, the 2016-2017 Season will be another step forward in bringing opera to audiences in new and exciting ways.
The Volunteer and Board Coordinator is a new position within the Education and Community Engagement Department at Vancouver Opera. This position is an opportunity to bring creative and engaging ideas to the development of a volunteer program. The Volunteer and Board Coordinator is primarily responsible for the stewardship of Vancouver Operas volunteers for the 2016/17 season and Festival, including recruitment, training, organization and management. This position will also be responsible for supporting the Board of Directors through administrative support acting as the primary staff liaison. The Volunteer and Board Coordinator will represent Vancouver Opera in a professional manner with the Board of Directors, staff, the community, volunteers and donors.
• Develop a robust volunteer plan for the VO Festival in April/ May 2017 based on program and event needs
• Ensure relationships with VO’s current volunteers are strengthened
• Actively recruit and engage volunteers from both the general community and VO’s current constituents.
• Effectively utilize volunteers to meet the needs of VO’s event schedule.
• Develop and manage a system to train and coordinate volunteers for the Festival and the rest of the season
• Develop a rewards strategy to maintain a loyal volunteer base
• Ensure that certification and training of volunteers is tracked and maintained
• Work in collaboration with the Development, Marketing, Artistic and Administrative Departments.
• Assist the Vancouver Opera Guild, a dedicated group of around 130 volunteers, in coordinating mutual events.
Board of Directors
• Managing communication and logistics for VO's approximately 25 member Board of Directors, the VO Foundation Board of Trustees, associated committees and all related projects, including:
• Taking and archiving all meeting notes
• Coordinating board retreats and field trips
• Registry filings and document retention
The successful candidate will have at least 3 years of experience with demonstrated knowledge in volunteer engagement, preferably within a festival or performing arts context combined with a post-secondary degree in a related discipline, or the equivalent combination of experience.
• Ability to lead and manage individuals and groups
• A proven commitment to working with diverse communities
• Ability to identify needs and wants of volunteers and, create opportunities to enhance every volunteer's experience with Vancouver Opera
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including ability to motivate, encourage, and guide
• Demonstrate a personal commitment to and passion for civic impact and the performing arts
• Ability to work independently with initiative
• Ability to work effectively with others to achieve optimal collective results
• Aptitude with word processing, email, and data entry
• Ability to write succinctly and accurately
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit a personalized cover letter and résumé in one document to Colleen Maybin, Director Education and Community Engagement. The successful candidate will be required to complete a Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Check.
Contact Name: Colleen Maybin
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org