VIVO Media Arts Centre
Oct. 24, 2016 (5:00 pm PST)
The Satellite Video Exchange Society is a Vancouver-based, charitable, non-profit, artist-run media arts centre that encourages and directly supports the creation, production, education, exhibition, distribution, and appreciation of media works by independent artists and alternative, community-based producers and activists. We provide a dynamic artistic program that includes exhibitions, performances, lectures, workshops, residencies, historical archives and access to contemporary research materials. We are dedicated to exploring the potential of new technologies in art and examining current technological evolutions in a critical context.
The Satellite Video Exchange Society (VIVO Media Arts Centre) seeks a self-directed, motivated individual for the position of Education Coordinator. This is a part-time position created to further develop our media arts education strategies and outreach. The Education Coordinator works closely with the Technical and Events+Exhibitions departments and is responsible for managing and promoting VIVO’s standard workshops in video production, editing, sound design, electronics, and other multi-media techniques, and further utilizing and promoting our new digital multi-workstation classroom facility. The Coordinator will also continue to evolve VIVO’s Youth Mentorship Program, a series that pairs emerging and practicing artists for progressive, thematically driven workshops.
Working within the parameters of VIVO’s mandate and mission, key responsibilities of the Education Coordinator are:
● Coordinate public access workshops, including class and instructor scheduling, and necessary equipment booking
● Manage and coordinate instructors, including managing fees and accompanying administration
● Register students and handle payments
● Develop special education programs and projects
● Coordinate and facilitate education-related public events
● Create and manage departmental and project budgets in collaboration with the General Manager
● Create and implement departmental policies and procedures in collaboration with the Management Collective
● Research educational funding opportunities and write project grants as needed
● Perform outreach activities to maintain and establish new partnerships with institutions and organizations
● Maintain departmental statistics and provide reports as needed
● Update and maintain education information on VIVO’s website
● Manage Education publicity and outreach through online advertising and dissemination of printed materials. Work with designers in the creation of publicity materials
● Coordinate distribution of workshop fliers and posters
● Manage the dissemination of information to the VIVO membership and general public through email lists, website and social media
● Participate in the VIVO Management Collective through weekly meetings and other collective duties
● Post-secondary education in communications, education and/or media arts (or equivalent)
● Working knowledge of media arts production and current technologies
● Strong interest in experimental media arts
● Excellent organizational, verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills
● Strong commitment to community development and principles of social justice. Knowledge of diverse cultural and social practices
● Proven ability to write project budgets, reports, grants and proposals
● Experience with public relations
● Experience working in an administrative capacity
● Experience working with artist-run centres, collectives or community based organizations
● Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated, set and meet deadlines, work under pressure and exercise sound judgment in setting priorities
● Proficiency in word processing and spreadsheets
● Graphic design skill an asset
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and cover letter outlining suitability to the position before 5pm, Monday, October 24th to firstname.lastname@example.org, Attn: Hiring Committee – Education Coordinator.
The Satellite Video Exchange Society is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from representatives of self-identified underserved communities.
We thank all who express interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interviews will be held the week of October 31st; position start date is anticipated for the week of November 21.
$18,648 per annum / 21 hrs/week
Contact Name: Julia Aoki
Contact Email: email@example.com