North Vancouver Museum and Archives
Oct. 21, 2016
The North Vancouver Museum has a collection of over 20,000 historic objects, including objects related to the Moodyville town site, the development of the waterfront and the shipbuilding industry, outdoor recreation, North Shore households, municipal transportation, local First Nation activities, and notable citizens. We are conducting a Collection Assessment Project, which includes surveying NVMA’s collection for artifacts for exhibit and preparing for deaccessioning.
The North Vancouver Museum and Archives is seeking an energetic, conscientious individual to fulfill an internship and provide assistance to the Museum Curator for a period of eighteen weeks.
The Museum Technician will assist with a variety of museum collection management tasks to survey and care for the museum collection.
Work week: 30 hrs/week (4x7.5 hr days)
Term: 8 November 2016 to 17 March 2017 (18 weeks)
Work Sites: Community History Centre (3203 Institute Road) and Museum Collection Facility, North Vancouver
Tasks will include conducting an inventory of portions of the museum collection; basic cleaning of artifacts; assessing and preparing artifact supports; and updating documentation and database records.
Preferred Skills and Knowledge:
- Completed undergraduate degree or certificate in an area appropriate to this position such as: History, Archaeology, Museum Studies, Anthropology, First Nations Studies, or Library, Archival or Information Studies.
- Interest and some knowledge in local and First Nations history, museum exhibits and collections.
- Some knowledge of preventive conservation, artifact care and handling, and experience preparing artifact mounts is an asset, as is experience with museum documentation and database systems.
- Other qualifications include an interest in material culture and in museum or archives work, a high degree of computer literacy, ability to maintain accuracy under pressure and deadlines, ability to lift 20lbs and walk up and down stairs, effective interpersonal and organizational skills, and excellent written and spoken English language skills.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License and Criminal Record Check.
How to Apply:
Please submit resumé and covering letter by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, specifying “Museum & Collection Technician Position” and your name in the subject line or by fax (604-987-5688). Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is funded in part via Young Canada Works in Heritage Institutions Internships for Graduates program of the Department of Canadian Heritage, administered through the Canadian Museums Association. Position is subject to receipt of funding. Candidates must be registered on the Young Canada Works website and meet all eligibility criteria to be considered for this position. PLEASE CONFIRM IN YOUR APPLICATION THAT YOU HAVE READ AND MEET THE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA. Visit www.youngcanadaworks.ca for particulars.
The North Vancouver Museum and Archives Commission is an equal opportunity employer.
$19.49 plus statutory holidays and vacation pay