City of New Westminster
Anvil Centre, the showpiece civic facility located in the heart of the downtown New Westminster and encompasses 84,000-square feet of interior space and includes: conference and meeting facilities, a flexible 350-seat non-proscenium theatre, multi-purpose rooms and multi-purpose art studios, a new media Art Gallery, Museum and Archives, Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame, Tourism New Westminster’s visitor information, restaurant and retail space. Details and links on this exciting project can be found atwww.anvilcentre.ca
The City of New Westminster is seeking auxiliary Exhibit Fabricators to work on an on-call basis to support the fabrication, installation and de-installation of exhibits in the Anvil Centre’s museum and art gallery spaces. This is skilled technical and trades work involving the construction of gallery spaces and installation of a variety of exhibitions and displays.
The work of this position involves demolition, construction, basic carpentry, framing, dry walling, patching, painting, finishing and similarly related tasks.
• Demonstrated experience or training in one or more trades relevant to the work, plus sound related experience in construction and installation. An equivalent combination of education and experience acceptable to the employer may be considered.
• Experience with construction, framing, drywall, painting and repair.
• Experience working in an art gallery or museum setting, good understanding of object and artwork care and handling techniques and procedures an asset.
• Preference may be given to candidates who have working knowledge or experience working with audio/visual systems and good experience with the fundamentals of electricity
• Preference may be given to candidates that possess a valid BC Class 5 Drivers’ License.
• Considerable knowledge of the standard practices, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in exhibit fabrication and demonstrated understanding of hazards and necessary safety precautions involved in the work.
• Ability to work in a busy environment and be sensitive to time constraints.
• Possess excellent teamwork and communication skills.
• Ability to work from verbal instructions, rough sketches, and blueprints with considerable knowledge of the techniques, materials and methods used in carpentry and three dimensional exhibit display work.
• Must be capable of lifting 50lbs and be comfortable working on ladders and scaffolding.
• Ability to pass and maintain a Police Information Check.
• Ability to work non-standard hours as operationally required.
How to Apply:
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #16-87 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: (604)527-4619 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This competition will remain open until positions have been filled.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The City of New Westminster is committed to employment equity.
We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.