Coastal Jazz and Blues Society
The story of Coastal Jazz and Blues Society is the story of determination, passion, idealism, community, and of course, music. Founded in 1985 and incorporated in 1986 as a community based, not-for-profit, charitable arts organization located in Vancouver, BC, the Society, from the very beginning, has worked diligently to establish Vancouver as a centre for the creation and exchange of sounds and ideas between the local, national and international music communities.
Our mission is to not only increase the appreciation of the music, but to strengthen the arts community by developing special projects, artistic exchanges, partnerships, educational initiatives, community programs, and collaborations that further the art form. Our vision encompasses a wide spectrum of jazz, blues, world, creative, and improvised music, including evolving forms of jazz and the technologies and media that influence jazz as an art form.
Today, the Society ranks as BC’s largest music presenter producing the annual TD Vancouver International Jazz Festival, the Music Series at the Winterruption Festival on Granville Island, the Bright Moments Series, Cellar Jazz Series and several year-round concerts. Along with music presentation, the Society also has a long standing commitment to music education, presenting the TD High School Jazz Intensive Program exclusively for high school students, the Sounds of Youth performance stage, regular workshops by local visiting international artists, children’s music programs, and more.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Officer will create and implement a fund development plan and budget to increase revenues in accordance with Coastal Jazz’s strategic plan. You will oversee the implementation of a strategic approach to fundraising including the annual membership fund, major gifts, corporate donations and corporate partnerships.
• Collaborate with the Board of Directors and Executive Director to create a fund development plan which increases revenues in support of the strategic direction of the organization
• Monitor and evaluate all fundraising activities to ensure that the fundraising goals are being achieved
• Develop and manage timelines for fundraising activities to ensure strategic plans and critical fund raising
• Oversee the planning and execution of special fundraising events as specified in the fund development plan for both the Coastal Jazz and Blues Society and for the Coastal Foundation for the Performing Arts
• Identify and develop corporate, community and individual prospects for the organization's fundraising priorities
• Oversee the administration of a donor mailing list and database which respects the privacy and confidentiality of donor information
• Engage volunteers for special fund development projects, and oversee funding for education and outreach
• Prepare regular reports on progress, budgets, receipts and expenditure related to fundraising and the management of the fund development activities
• Develop a comprehensive communication plan to promote the organization to its donors and maximize public awareness of the fundraising activities of the organization
• Coordinate the design, printing and distribution of marketing and communication materials for development efforts, in collaboration with the marketing department
• Oversee the design and implementation of short-and long- term fundraising plans and budgets that support the organization’s annual operating plan & strategic goals.
• Prioritize and identify individuals and groups who have the capacity and propensity to give.
• Monitor progress & effectiveness of annual plans on a regular basis, adjusting as necessary.
• Provide updates and reports to the ED, senior management and the Board Development Committee as necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• College or University Degree
• A certificate in Fundraising Management or Certified Fund Raising Executive would be an asset
• A minimum of 5 years progressive management in fundraising
• Experience with direct mail and online campaigns, major donors, corporations, foundations, donations processing and gifts in kind.
• Ethical principles relevant to cultivation, securing & accepting gifts.
• Experience working in the not-for-profit sector and working with Boards
• Experience in special events planning and management
• Experience managing volunteer resources.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
• Proven knowledge of fundraising strategies
• Exemplary relationship building and business development skills
• Proven success in the planning and execution of development plans with measurable results
• Understand the importance and integral nature of communication in fund development
• Knowledge of strategic and action planning methods as they relate to fundraising
• Financial management skills
• Strong communication skills
• Ability to analyze fundraising effectiveness and forecast implications
• High energy and ability to work under pressure
• Creativity/Innovation: Develop new initiatives to improve the finances of the organization.
• Ethical Behaviour: Understand ethical behaviour and business practices and ensure own behaviour and the behaviour of others are consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
• Building Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization. Advanced writing and communications skills are required for this position.
• Focus on Donor Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of donors to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
• Foster Teamwork: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
• Knowledge of the music sector, and an appreciation of the various genres of jazz is a significant asset.
• Experience leveraging education and outreach for fundraising purposes is a significant asset
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Development Officer Position
Salary and benefits package commensurate with experience
Contact Name: Mike Forrester
Contact Email: email@example.com