Secret Lantern Society
Oct. 7, 2016
The Secret Lantern Society is a vibrant social-profit organization that brings diverse communities together to celebrate beauty, culture and illumination through our annual Winter Solstice Lantern Festival (now in its 23rd year) and diverse events throughout the year. We support our work through lantern rentals, the creation of custom lanterns and décor, workshops, partnerships and government grants. Artistry, multicultural collaboration, community engagement, and environmentalism are central to our grassroots creativity.
We are seeking to fill a 10-month contract position for a part-time Office Manager to oversee organizational and financial management of the Society, as well as developing resources to fund this job position in future years. The successful candidate will be evaluated based on their ability to achieve the organizational goals and benchmarks.
The Office Manager will assist in development of a business structure for our revenue generating initiatives and will augment current grant-writing and reporting practices. Working with Founding Artistic Director Naomi Singer and various contract staff, the OM will further assist with communications, marketing, social media presence, and community outreach.
Upon starting you will undertake an evaluation and reorganization of the Society’s current filing systems, and will subsequently be responsible for filing all documents, correspondences, and financial records.
Key Responsibilities include:
Daily Operation/Administrative Tasks:
• Establish office management systems
• Create a yearly schedule of deadlines for applications, submissions, reports and other business related dates
• Maintain the Society’s Not-for-Profit status through filing mandated society documents
• Complete annual reports (including WorkSafe B.C.; partner reports etc.)
• Contribute to and submit completed grant applications and funding reports
• Apply for relevant festival permits (Park Board, City, Fire etc.)
• Draw up seasonal staff, performer, and artist contracts
• Liaise with seasonal staff as required
• Facilitate business related to the creation, marketing and rental of custom lanterns
• Initiate new grant and funding opportunities
• Develop and maintain a database of workshop and lantern rental prices
• Develop the annual Operating Budget
• Maintain various project budgets
• Ensure invoices and bills are paid
• Implement systems for regular accounting
The successful candidate will have a degree in Arts Administration or a related field, or a minimum of three years experience in the not-for-profit arts sector in organizational management, including a demonstrated ability to successfully raise funds through diverse means. You will be a clear communicator with the ability to work independently and implement ideas into action.
You will have:
• An arts-positive attitude and experience in culturally engaged projects
• A strong understanding of the not-for-profit sector
• Excellent communication skills
• Strong organizational skills
• A proven track record of successful grant writing
• Experience with budgets and financial statements
• Experience with developing and executing fund development initiatives
• Experience with website maintenance and social media
• Advanced computer skills and experience with a variety of office software
How to Apply:
Please e-mail your resume and cover letter with the subject line “Secret Lantern Office Manager” by 5:00PM on Friday, October 7, 2016. In your cover letter let us know what excites you about working with the Secret Lantern Society and tell us why this position is the right step for you and your career.
Interviews will be conducted during the week of October 17th, with notification the following week. The job will begin during the week of October 24th, to be determined by mutual agreement.
Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
This is a contract position with a total fee of $21,500 based on roughly 300 hours (October through December 2016 @ 30 hrs/wk) and 560 hours (January through July 2017 @ 20 hrs/wk). Hours are flexible, to be mutually arranged.
Contact Name: Search Committee
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: (778) 886-5055