Vancouver Opera is a dynamic, progressive not-for-profit charitable organization. Founded in 1958, it is the 2nd largest opera company in Canada. After 55 years of presenting exceptional opera productions in a traditional season, the company is in a period of creative growth as it transitions to a new model which includes an annual opera festival. The successful candidate will have an opportunity to contribute to the success of the inaugural Vancouver Opera Festival, in April/May 2017.
Working as a member of the marketing team, the Publications Coordinator is responsible for coordinating the copy writing, editing, proofreading and publication of 3 printed house programs for the 2016-2017 VO season; and for the copywriting, editing, proofreading, publication and distribution of VO’s official Festival Guide for the Vancouver Opera Festival.
For all publications:
- Establishing page plans, coordinating the submission, editing and approval of copy, and assembling content from all sources;
- Ensuring proofs are produced by the respective layout artists/graphic designers (internal and external) and distributed for proofing and approval;
- Ensuring proofing is complete and that final proofs are submitted by deadline for printing, and coordinating timely delivery to performance venues.
For the Festival Guide:
- Seeking out and securing distribution channels, including sponsored channels, in order to ensure wide distribution and strategic placement of the guides throughout Metro Vancouver, and planning and coordinating distribution and replenishment;
- invoicing advertisers for ad sales arranged by VO’s third-party ad sales agency, and tracking invoices for follow-up;
- Such other duties in support of VO’s marketing communications as may be required.
The successful candidate will have considerable experience in editing and/or coordinating printed publications to firm deadlines and thorough familiarity with the broad cultural community in Metro Vancouver, and will demonstrate:
• Ability to plan and adhere to detailed schedules and timelines
• Attention to detail in editing, copy writing and proofreading publications;
• Proven ability to coordinate the aggregation of information and content
• Proficiency with computer technology for business, in particular Adobe Acrobat
• Superior written communication skills at all levels and in a wide variety of forms;
• Strong relationship-building skills, with the ability to build and maintain business and sponsor partnerships
• Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to coordinate people on projects, and a collaborative working style;
• The ability to think proactively and creatively in a busy and creative cross-disciplinary working environment
How to Apply:
This is a 6-month part time contract position averaging 2 days per week over the course of the contract, with some flexibility in the work schedule depending on deadlines and other circumstances.
Please send a cover letter and resume by mail or email to:
Director of Marketing
The O’Brian Centre for Vancouver Opera
1945 Mclean Drive
Vancouver, BC V5N 3J7
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
We thank everyone who applies for this position. However, only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Commensurate with experience.