VSO School of Music
Oct. 30, 2016
The VSO School of Music is a new state-of-the-art music school located adjacent to the Orpheum Theatre in downtown Vancouver. The School offers individual instruction by members of the Vancouver Symphony and other educators, a wide range of courses, performance opportunities and other opportunities to interact with VSO musicians and guest artists. The School serves students of all ages, levels and abilities.
The newly constructed 25,000 square foot facility includes 17 separated teaching studios, a large ensemble room, percussion room 6 practice rooms, 2 classrooms, computer listening stations, gift shop and cafe.
The Front Desk Attendants are the “frontline” of the organization and are often the first contact people have with the VSO School of Music, either on the telephone, online or in person. They serve as customer service agents by assisting guests, parents, rental clients, students or faculty members, to ensure a positive experience. FDAs also perform administrative duties in the areas of assisting in rentals of the facilities, with School’s gift Shop and with enrollment. The FDA sets the welcoming, professional and courteous tone for the front line of our organization.
Front desk/Reception role:
- Handling and directing incoming phone calls.
- Provide welcoming and exceptional service to parents, faculty, students, and multiple external parties.
- Distribution of promotional materials and communicating information about the school.
- Assigning use of the facilities, including practice rooms for VSO musicians using scheduling.
- Distribute and coordinate FOBS with the use of room scheduling software.
- Processing enrollments and tickets as requested.
School registration role:
- Contacting students/teachers regarding lesson cancellations.
- Assisting the registrar with various registration tasks.
- Registering students for group classes and master classes.
Gift shop role:
- Accept and process payment for gift shop items.
- helping customers select sheet music and accessories
- using POS software and conducting debit/credit card transactions.
Building Attendant role:
- Opening/Closing the building, walking through and securing building at night.
- Ensuring the safety of guests in the building.
- Setting up and striking classrooms/salon for rental clients and faculty needs (tables/chairs, AV equipment).
- Keeping the reception and front entrance including tables, and chairs, in neat and orderly manner.
Various administration tasks which will include:
- phoning students, parents, faculty
- sending emails
- assisting in mailings
- Excel spreadsheet data input
- administrative assistance with enrollment
Front of House/Concessions/Technical assistance role:
- An FDA may also assist in a role with the front of house and technical set up/strike of Pyatt Hall, setting up tables/chairs, and striking venue.
- Any other duties assigned.
- availability to do shift work, mornings, evenings and weekend shifts.
- at least 3 years of proven customer service
- previous experience working in the performing arts or hospitality sector with specific experience in administration, backstage and/or catering an asset
- excellent computer skills including excel, word and outlook
- POS experience required
- Computer experience in Excel, Word and database systems required
- experience working in a non-profit or educational setting an asset
- Ability to work weekends is a must with flexible hours to cover morning or evening shifts.
- able to interact with multiple patrons at once while maintaining a great sense of humour
- Must be physically able to lift 40 lbs.
- a comfortable familiarity with connecting various cables for DVD, CD, and or laptop connections.
- Classical or Jazz Music background an asset
- spoken French and/or Mandarin an asset
- Criminal Check through the Vancouver Police Department
- Basic “First Aid I” (provided)
- Microsoft/PC Environment (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Active Net (school registration, facility booking, POS)
- Keyscan (Elevator & Doors Security Software)
How to Apply:
Email: email@example.com - subject line "FDA part-time/casual"