Oct. 10, 2016
Bau-Xi Gallery was established in 1965 in Vancouver to showcase the many Canadian artists in need of gallery representation on the West Coast. As the oldest commercial gallery in Vancouver, Bau-Xi has been a central member of the Art Dealers Association of Canada since the early 1970s, and in Vancouver, a founding member of the South Granville Gallery Association. Since its inception, the iconic Vancouver Bau-Xi Gallery has expanded to include Bau-Xi Gallery and Bau-Xi Photo in Toronto, and Foster/White Gallery in Seattle.
Bau-Xi Vancouver seeks a full time candidate for Art Sales – Gallery Assistant position starting in September or early October. This position offers 40 hours per week, Saturday-Wednesday. Qualified candidates should be highly personable, proactive, motivated, and have strong communication skills. Candidates with fine art or luxury sales experience are given preference.
Working side-by-side with the gallery director and other gallery staff, the candidate will be responsible in assisting clients and artists. The primary focus of the position is to sell contemporary fine art. The gallery assistant will be responsible for a wide variety of gallery functions including sales, marketing to new clients, social media, press communications, inventory, gallery maintenance, digital photography, exhibition installation and client liaison.
- 2-5 years’ experience in fine art sales, luxury sales or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s degree in Art History, Studio Arts or Fine Arts preferred but not required
- Excellent record of developing and maintaining positive client relationships
- Ability to work within a team and independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to exercise considerable independent judgement, action, tact and initiative
- Effective time management skills and the ability to multi-task the various responsibilities inherent in this position.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
- Digital photography skills is an asset
- Valid BC driver’s license is required
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org