Sep. 30, 2016
Vancouver Opera is a professional Opera company located in Vancouver, BC. With administration offices, rehearsal halls, wardrobe, properties, and carpentry shops, warehouse space, and coaching rooms at The O’Brian Centre for Vancouver Opera at 1945 McLean Drive in East Vancouver. Our Mainstage Productions take place in the Vancouver Civic Theatre Complex at both the Vancouver Playhouse and the Queen Elizabeth Theatre. This season marks the inaugural Vancouver Opera Festival with three mainstage operas in the Vancouver Civic Theatres complex as well as concerts and events taking place in our Festival Tent on the QET Plaza.
The Festival Properties Manager will work with the Technical Director, Stage Directors, and Creative Teams of Vancouver Opera to provide rehearsal props, show props, and set dressing for all Vancouver Opera Festival productions plus supervision of properties for Vancouver Opera presentations and Young Artist Program performances. This is a management/buyer/builder position.
The Festival Properties Manager will be responsible for (but not limited to):
• Reporting to the Technical Director or his designate.
• Hiring, supervising, scheduling and managing props builders, painters, and assistants to ensure the smooth delivery of properties for three concurrent productions during the Vancouver Opera Festival.
• Reading, recording, and responding to rehearsal notes. Supplying rehearsal props in a timely fashion for all Vancouver Opera Festival productions.
• Co-operating fully with the Production Designer and/or Stage Director in the realization of their design/concept, while not superseding the directions of the Technical Director.
• Managing material and labour budget limitations as set forth by the Technical Director.
• Building, altering, purchasing, renting and maintaining all props for all Vancouver Opera Festival productions, Vancouver Opera presentations, and Young Artist Program performances.
• Maintaining a safe, clean and organized work space.
• Attending production meetings and rehearsals as required.
• Managing props load-in, pack-up, and load-out both at the rehearsal hall and on stage.
• Working with IATSE Head of Props at Vancouver Civic Theatres (Playhouse and QET) during set- up, run, and strike of Vancouver Opera Festival productions to ensure timely, and organized delivery of information, lists, pre-sets, storage, and maintenance of all properties during Festival Productions.
The Successful Candidate Will:
• Be a graduate of an accredited Theatre Program and have at least 5 years professional theatre experience or equivalent
• Have excellent organizational, self-motivation, communication, and time management skills
• Have a strong ability to work in a team environment
• Have experience in the safe use of carpentry, properties, wardrobe, and paint tools.
• Have a broad working knowledge of properties construction techniques
• Have the ability to interpret set design drawings
• Have an excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office Environment. Proficiency in graphics software is considered an asset
• Have a valid driver’s license and clean driver’s abstract – use of own vehicle required.
• Be comfortable working at heights and able to lift/carry heavy items
• Have strong contacts in the Vancouver, British Columbia, and Natioanal theatre/opera community for builders, painters, buyers, etc.
• Have substantial local and national knowledge of property rental houses and sources
• Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC) and/or Possession and Acquisition License (PAL) is considered an asset
How to Apply:
Email resume and cover letter to Technical Direcotor, Dan Paterson : email@example.com
To Be Negotiated. Based On Experience
Contact Name: Dan Paterson
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org