Vancouver Ballet Society
Dec. 15, 2017
The Vancouver Ballet Society (VBS) is a unique, not-for-profit organization committed to supporting and revitalizing dance through education, encouragement and assistance. The Society, founded in 1946, has been the only umbrella dance organization in continuous operation in this province for over 70 years.Our primary mission is finding the means to continue and increase our scholarship fund so young, talented British Columbians can be encouraged to continue their studies in what is an increasingly costly discipline, thus ensuring that B.C. will continue to produce home-grown dancers on our own and international stages.
Another prime focus is the publication of the acclaimed Dance International magazine which is distributed worldwide. The Society also offers dance students exclusive Master Classes taught by world renowned artists from major dance companies when on tour in Vancouver,a week-long annual intensive workshop known as Spring Seminar, through which they have the opportunity to receive scholarship funds. The VBS houses an extensive archive collection, with pieces dating back to 1912, in a library that is open to the public by appointment.
Under the direction of the VBS Board, the Administrator fulfills the policies and direction of the Society, including programs established by the Society. We are seeking an Administrator for 2.5 days per week,(18 hours)who can work independently and in a team environment. The individual must be a self-starter, ideally with some background in the world of dance, confident with computer programs and social media (Microsoft Office, Mailchimp, Formsite, Filemaker Pro, Facebook), able to multi-task and track different programs, professionally respond to phone calls and emails, and be able to work comfortably within a sometimes-busy office.
- Maintain the VBS and DI office and records in an orderly manner
- Answer and monitor phone calls and emails
- Prepare bank deposits for VBS and DI on a regular basis
- Acquire, rent and arrange for servicing of office equipment and supplies as required
- Act as a liaison with the landlord of the VBS/DI space in matters relating to rental and maintenance of office space
- Process memberships and renewals
- Establish and maintain good and cooperative relationships with other arts organizations
- Generatee-newsletters: the VBS’s monthlyBarre Factsand the quarterly DI e-news,using Mailchimp
- Maintain regular social media presencefor VBS on Facebook
- Quarterly prepare payments for DI’s writers, printer, mailhouse, personnel, etc.
- Quarterly invoice DI advertisers and stay up-to-date with past due payments
- Help organize annual Scholarship ShowcaseFundraiser, Spring Seminarand Master Classes with advertising, registrations, payments, venue bookings, donation requests,reconciliation,etc.
- Update the VBS website as events happen
- Maintain/build online forms (Formsite) for memberships, events and classes
- Generate promotional materials for events and classes (posters, header images, etc.)
- Maintain Database (Filemaker Pro) to reflect current membership, attendees, DI writers, etc.
- Perform other related administrative duties as required
- 2 years experience in a related field, in a non-profit is a plus
- Great communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to work with all ages,from youth to seniors
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including Excel
- Computer graphic experience is an asset
- Knowledge of the magazine industry is a plus
- Experience using Filemaker Pro an asset
- Experience with Wordpress and other web tools (Mailchimp, Formsite) a benefit
How to Apply:
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Administrator Application' in the subject line. We appreciate you sending your materials as PDFs.
Hours: Part-time, 18 hours a week
Application Deadline: Dec 15, 2017
Start date: Early 2018
The Vancouver Ballet Society is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those short-listed will be contacted.
$16-18/hr, based on experience