BC Alliance for Arts + Culture
The BC Alliance for Arts + Culture is British Columbia's leading arts information aggregator and a resource to the arts, culture and heritage community. Since 1986 we have advocated for our sector by monitoring public policy; synthesizing issues for the public; supporting and developing research; providing support, services and professional development; and representing the interests of artists and cultural workers.
The BC Alliance for Arts + Culture is seeking a Director of Communications to work with staff to carry out the organization's mandate. This position specifically deals with all aspects of communications, both internal and external, for Alliance programs and activities as well as general office functions and events as required. These communications include, but are not limited to: websites, newsletters, email bulletins, annual reports, promotional materials, advertisements, media relations, social media, and public outreach. This position reports to the Executive Director.
The probationary period is three months from the permanent start date. This is a full-time salaried position with a benefits package after three months of service.
- Develops and implements communications and marketing strategies to advance the organization’s mission, vision, and core values.
- Designs and oversees content of all Alliance digital communications, including the electronic newsletter, email bulletins, advocacy alerts, press releases, presentations, advertisements, and social media campaigns.
- Designs and writes copy for promotional materials, event programs, reports, internal manuals, and stationery concerning the Alliance and its programs.
- Designs, manages, and writes content for the Alliance website and other associated websites; monitors mailing lists and web forums.
- Manages Alliance’s BC Artist Registry, seeking opportunities to invite public participation in surveys and consultations to advance sector-related research.
- Promotes all Alliance programs to members and the public, develops and attends networking functions, attends member activities and meets with members and non-members regarding Alliance, communications and advocacy issues.
- Plans, develops and markets the Alliance’s professional development programs and other events.
- Co-produces special events including the annual conference, networking receptions, assists BC Culture Days Manager with public launch events for BC Culture Days, and other related community events.
- Provides communications support as required to BC Culture Days Manager and SpaceFinder BC support staff.
- Manages communications relating to the City of Vancouver’s Mayor’s Arts Awards. Coordinates juries, issues call for community nominations, liaises with award recipients and City staff, manages award recipient materials and presentation materials, and other relevant duties as required.
- Researches and drafts documents related to cultural policy issues, toolkits, and advocacy materials.
- Monitors sector-related news and media coverage for dissemination to the public; maintains regular contact with the media.
- Manages program-related budgets and liaises with external vendors.
- Serves on community committees as a representative of the Alliance, engages with potential allies and partner organizations concerning issues of a mutual interest, and acts as spokesperson on matters of concern to the sector.
- Responds to basic IT issues onsite concerning the web server and technical tools; liaises with external support service providers.
- Seeks opportunities to advocate for and promote arts, culture and heritage.
- Performs other relevant duties as may be assigned for the smooth operations of the Alliance.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, oral and written communication skills, and impeccable attention to detail.
- Excellent computer skills with experience in graphic design.
- Ability to learn new programs and applications.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Strong work ethic and proactive problem solving skills.
- Strong IT skills.
- Proficiency with Mac operating systems.
How to Apply:
Apply by email with the subject “Director of Communications” – Your Name” to email@example.com. Attach resume and cover letter as one PDF attachment.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as interviews will begin in early April 2017.
$45,000 per annum plus a benefits package after 3 months.