Apr. 7, 2017
Gateway Theatre’s mission is to enrich the quality of life in Richmond and surrounding communities by creating outstanding professional theatre and serving as a dynamic hub for the performing arts. Incorporated in 1982, Gateway has grown into one of the largest professional theatre companies in the Lower Mainland and is lead today by Artistic Director Jovanni Sy. We serve the community through professional live theatre productions, theatre education for youth, and community venue rentals.
We are seeking a candidate, with strong written and verbal communication skills, who is interested the intersections of theatre administration and production. Reporting to the Artistic Associate, the Artistic Intern will assist with season preparations for the professional productions in the Main Stage, Studio, and Pacific Festival for 2017 as well as supporting production maintenance and rental clients.
Hours of work: 35 hrs/week. Office hours are 9am – 5pm (with one hour unpaid lunch break). The hours will vary – some evening and weekend work may be required.
The position is subject to funding.
Artistic Intern duties may include:
- Organizing and facilitating auditions
- Creating and writing content for programs and events
- Liaising with artists, contractors, and/or rental clients for the 2017‐2018 season
- Archival of production materials
- Script library upkeep
- Coordinating translation materials
- Outreach at community special events
- Data entry and record keeping
- Supporting the Rentals Manager
- Assisting with stage equipment maintenance
- Other duties as required by supervisor
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A keen interest in and understanding of theatre production
- Excellent organizational and multi‐tasking skills
- Computer skills in Microsoft Office suite
- Proven ability to balance individual initiative with working as part of a dynamic team
- Superior organization skills and attention to detail
- Strong writing skills
- Experience with copy-writing
This position is funded through the Summer Works program. The successful applicant must:
- be legally entitled to work in Canada
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have refugee status in Canada
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment
- be a full time student with the intention of returning to full time studies in the fall
- be willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment for a period of 16 weeks
- not have another full‐time job (over 30 hours a week)
- not be attending full‐time classes while carrying out this job
How to Apply:
Please advise us if you need accessibility accommodated (including alternate formats of materials or accessible meeting space) to participate in this process: email@example.com or 604-270-6500.
Please respond with a cover letter, resume, and sample of your writing, to: SCooper1@gatewaytheatre.com
No faxes or phone calls please. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.