BC Alliance for Arts + Culture & BC Culture Days
The BC Alliance for Arts + Culture is British Columbia's leading arts information aggregator and a resource to the arts, culture and heritage community. Since 1986 we have advocated for our sector by monitoring public policy, synthesizing issues for our members, providing support, services and professional development, and representing the interests of artists and cultural workers.
Culture Days in British Columbia is an annual three-day event held each September which raises the awareness, accessibility, participation and engagement of Canadians in the arts and cultural life of their communities.
The BC Alliance for Arts + Culture & BC Culture Days are working to bridge the gaps of understanding between Indigenous and non-Indigenous arts and community groups across BC in a process that will entail research and outreach. The key to the success of the project will be rooted in mutual respect, humility and a commitment to honour Indigenous protocols.
The Indigenous Outreach Coordinator will play a key role in identifying and developing connections between First Nation’s people, the BC Alliance for Arts + Culture and BC Culture Days in order to build trust between these groups to facilitate partnerships and collaborations that will support the reconciliation process.
Please note: One Indigenous student can be considered for both positions.
For: BC Alliance for Arts + Culture
The Coordinator will do research to identify individuals and groups in BC from all sectors of the Indigenous community including arts, education, academia, government, business and band councils. They will work with the Executive Director to develop initiatives to bring leaders from both Indigenous and non-Indigenous cultural communities together to listen, learn, and share ideas.
The Indigenous outreach coordinator will be responsible for communications, identifying protocols specific to Indigenous communities, assisting with the annual Conference on June 8th and providing support to the communications department.
This contract with the BC Alliance will be May 1st - June 30th, 2017 for 9 weeks @ 35 hrs/wk for a total of 315 hours at an hourly rate of $14/hr.
For: BC Culture Days
Reporting to the BC Culture Days Manager, the Production Assistant will support the 2017 BC-wide campaign leading up to the Culture Days weekend (Sept. 29-Oct.1). Culture Days is an annual pan-Canadian celebration of arts, culture and heritage inviting the public behind the scenes to discover the world of artists and other creative people in their community. Last year, artists, arts organizations and other cultural organizations hosted 658 Culture Days activities in 60 communities across the province.
- Assist with online registration of Culture Days participants.
- Research and update database of outreach and media contacts.
- Package, ship, and distribute promotional materials to participants.
- Deliver promotional materials to venues across Vancouver.
- Assist with set-up and presentation of pop-up events.
- Engage with local arts and cultural organizations to encourage registration of Culture Days activities.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Required fluency in English.
- Fluency in a second language is an asset.
- Experience with website administration and databases is an asset.
One Indigenous student can be considered for both positions.
Canada Summer Jobs Student requirements are listed below:
- Between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
- A registered as a full-time student during the preceding academic year;
- Returning to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year;
- A student in a secondary, post-secondary, vocational or technical program;
- A Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act;
- Legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations.
This contract period for BC Culture Days will begin July 4th to September 1st, 2017 for 9 weeks @ 35 hrs/wk for a total of 315 hours at an hourly rate of $14/hr.
How to Apply:
Please send a brief letter to Executive Director Brenda Leadlay at Brenda@allianceforarts.com stating why you are interested in the position and what you hope to bring to it. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.