CircusWest Performing Arts Society
CircusWest Performing Arts Society is a non-profit, registered charity incorporated in 1984. The Society is made up of CircusWest participants who are adults enrolled in and/or the parents of youth enrolled in CircusWest programs, as well as other, invited community members. The Society is governed by an elected Board of Directors.
Mission and Vision
The mission: To develop skills, build confidence, and inspire passion through training and performance in circus arts.
The vision: Western Canada’s leader in teaching, performing, and promoting circus as a distinct creative art.
Job Purpose and Summary
The Bookkeeper is responsible for the preparation and maintenance of financial records and reports for CircusWest. S/he provides financial support to the Finance Officer through bookkeeping, payroll, banking and reporting services.
Under the direction of the Finance Officer, Bookkeeper maintains or directs the maintenance of all necessary and appropriate records, files and processes to ensure the smooth and compliant financial operation of the organization, focusing on accuracy and transparency.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare General Ledger and supporting accounts within the QuickBooks electronic accounting system
- Prepare Accounts Payable files and process cheques for signing and distribution
- Record registration, tuition and other payments other revenues
- Reconcile all accounts monthly and prepare financial statements, including Financial Position, Revenue and Expenditure, Performance to Budget / Variance, Key Expenditure Tracking and Cash Flow
- Prepare bi-weekly payroll files and submit to contracted payroll processor ADP
- Print wage statements for distribution to staff
- Maintain staff files, including time sheet monitoring, vacation and sick day bank records, other taxable benefits
- Maintain contractor and suppliers files, including T4A preparation and related government submissions
- Monitor remittances to Receiver-General for source deductions
- Prepare WorkSafe BC reports and remittances
- Arrange payroll processor registration of new hires and Record of Employment for departing staff
- Reconcile bank accounts monthly
- Monitor cash flow and cash management
- Prepare monthly Financial Statements as required by Treasurer and Finance Committee
- Prepare WorkSafe BC reports
- Prepare HST/GST and PST returns
- Prepare Gaming Annual Use of Proceeds and other Grant Reporting reports
- Prepare grant confirmations and monitor reporting requirements
- Prepare Annual T2 and NPO returns
- Prepare T4A submissions, monitor T4 preparation and distribution, reconcile PIERS if required
- Prepare audit documentation when required
- Provide advice and recommendations on financial procedures and practice as required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong computer skills, including QuickBooks accounting software
- Complete and expert understanding of both Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and International Financial Reporting Standards in not-for-profit / charitable organizations in Canada
- Understanding of provincial and federal reporting standards for not-for-profit / charitable organizations in British Columbia
- Degree or diploma in business, administration, or management and certification in bookkeeping or financial management
- Minimum 5 years recent related experience, including senior level work in the finance office of a not-for-profit organization in Canada
Conditions of Employment
- This is a part-time, contract position, based upon a 20 hour per month assignment. Hours may be adjusted over time to fulfill position requirements.
- The Bookkeeper will be based in the CircusWest office at the PNE Garden Auditorium. It is a dynamic, fluid work environment with competing high-priority demands and an extremely fast pace.
How to Apply:
Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with Bookkeeper in the subject line.
Contact Name: Doris Mars
Contact Email: email@example.com