Soulpepper Theatre Company
Oct. 1, 2017
Soulpepper, Toronto’s largest theatre company, is an artist-centred non-profit charity that celebrates the stories that move us and the artists who tell them. Soulpepper presents vital Canadian interpretations of the classics, and commissions, translates, and develops new work, creating a home for a diverse array of artistic expression across disciplines. We share our work through a variety of platforms, engaging audiences, inspiring youth in our city, and training the next generation of theatre artists through the Soulpepper Academy.
Reporting to and in association with the Technical Director, the Associate Technical Director is responsible for the planning, management and supervision of all technical elements of productions, presentations, and related activities assigned, for the daily operations of Soulpepper Theatre Company, and its joint venture the Young Centre for the Performing Arts.
- Assume the lead technical responsibility for any assigned productions in consultation with the Technical Director; ensure that all technical elements on assigned projects are delivered on schedule and on budget, liaising with designers and Department Heads and troubleshooting technical challenges as required;
- Produce any AutoCAD plans and/or construction drawings and other production paperwork as directed; supervises the building and painting of scenery and decor in the Soulpepper carpentry, paint and prop shops as directed;
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date accounting records for purchases, including the maintenance and reconciliation of petty cash floats;
- Create, maintain, publish and ensure accurate distribution of all Soulpepper show-by-show production schedules as assigned;
- Assist in establishing the labour requirements for lighting, sound, video and scenic elements for all productions as assigned; act as a supervisor for the Young Centre for the Performing Arts’ union House and Casual technicians as directed; schedule and train casual labour as necessary for the Soulpepper production department as directed;
- Maintain, in cooperation with other Soulpepper departments, an accurate inventory and organization of Soulpepper’s storage facilities;
- Produce and maintain a good driving abstract. Arrange and perform the pick-up of production supplies when needed;
- Assist the Production Manager with Young Centre’s facilities and events, Soulpepper Academy and workshop events, as assigned by the Technical Director; facilitate technical support when required for users who may require technical assistance in the Baillie Centre or Young Centre as assigned;
- Participates in the creation, implementation and enforcement of Soulpepper and Young Centre Health and Safety policies.
- Knowledge of contemporary theatrical construction techniques and materials, advanced awareness of safe and efficient theatrical labour standards, theatrical rigging, typical schedules and timelines for mounting performances of all types.
- Working knowledge of theatrical lighting, sound, video and production management preferred.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office applications;
- Superior proficiency in AutoCAD;
- Strong leadership, decision-making, analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent planning, organizational, time-management and team building skills;
- Strong interpersonal and oral/written communication skills;
- Self-starter, detail oriented, flexible;
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment with multiple deadlines;
- Valid Ontario G class driving license.
- Post-secondary degree from a recognized technical theatre training institution or an equivalent combination of education and professional experience.
- Minimum 3 to 5 years’ professional experience in a variety of aspects of technical theatre including time as a Technical Director or Assistant Technical Director.
How to Apply:
Soulpepper is an equal opportunity employer and invites all applicants with proper credentials to apply for the position. Soulpepper is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation please let us know and Soulpepper will work with you to meet your needs. Soulpepper thanks all candidates for their interest however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please send résumé and cover letter including salary expectations, detailing how you can contribute to this dynamic not-for-profit arts organization by no later than October 1, 2017. Quote ATD17 on the subject line when applying by email.
To: Sarah Farrell, General Counsel & Director of Human Resources