The Production Assistant will support the Technical Director, Head of Properties, Head of Wardrobe, and the day to day operations of the Production Department at VO, as well as providing logistical support to all departments in executing mainstage productions, YAP performances, VOIS tours, and special events.
Contact Period #1 Start Date: September 11, 2017
Contract Period #1 End Date: October 29, 2017
Contract Period #2 Start Date:December 18, 2017
Contract Period #2 End Date: February 4, 2018
Contract Period #3 Start Date: March 26, 2018
Contract Period #3 End Date: May 27, 2018
Specific Duties Include:
- Will attend production meetings and rehearsals as required.
- Will be responsible for familiarizing oneself with all aspects of the opera production, including but not limited to, their storyline, characters, period and concept.
- Will support Technical Director during rehearsals, pre-production, technical install, strike, and post production.
- Is required to assist the load-ins and outs of props and supplies at both the rehearsal hall and on stage.
- Will be responsible for Production Department Purchasing and maintaining accurate records of all purchases made by using either a petty cash float or purchase orders.
- Will arrange cartage as required to ship props, costumes or other production or marketing, education and development related goods during contracted periods; to/from the rehearsal space(s), wardrobe and props shops, suppliers, Civic Theatres and Vancouver Opera offices.
- Will provide assistance to the Stage Management team as requested.
- Will assist the Head of Props in building and altering props with consent from TD.
- Will execute minor builds as required for rehearsals and or performances under the direction of the TD
- Maintain internal storage facility.
- Other duties & assignments as mutually agreed upon.
- Valid driver’s license
- Clean drivers abstract (5 years)
- Ability to drive 5 ton truck
- Knowledge of Scenic Carpentry and building skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office environment
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to read and analyze CAD drawings
- Graduate of an accredited Technical Theatre Program or a minimum of three years experience working in theatrical/dance/festival/opera production
How to Apply:
To apply please send cover letter and resumé to Dan Paterson at, firstname.lastname@example.org
Preference will be given to candidates who are able to fulfill all three contract periods. However, candidates who are not available for all three periods will still be considered – especially those available for period #1.
40 hour week. Hourly rate negotiable depending on experience