Vancouver Opera is the second largest opera company in Canada. It is regarded worldwide for its fine mainstage productions; for its country-leading education programs, which have reached more than 1.6 million children and their families in 35 years; for its innovative and award-winning community programs; and for forging groundbreaking cross-cultural creative partnerships that have brought opera to new generations of Canadians. Vancouver Opera performs at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre in downtown Vancouver. The O'Brian Centre for Vancouver Opera is located at 1945 McLean Drive.
The Office/Administrative Manager is responsible for office and administrative affairs at Vancouver Opera and works closely with the Facilities Manager, Director of Finance & Administration (DFA), and the company accountant.
1. General office duties
- Answer and direct incoming phone calls to appropriate departments
- Daily bank deposits for the Vancouver Opera Association and Vancouver Opera Foundation
- Run errands outside of the office as deemed necessary by the DFA
- Ordering and maintaining inventory of business cards, company letterhead, envelopes and special letterhead
- Safeguard a master set of the Company's keys
- Kitchen duties including loading/unloading dishwasher, making coffee etc.
- Plan and organize staff events for special occasions, including logistics, food/beverage, and decor
- Handle larger print jobs/bind materials for external and internal meetings
- Serve as one of the office alarm emergency contacts
- Shred confidential documents
2. Visitor management
- Welcome and direct visitors to the O'Brian Centre to appropriate staff
- Set up procedures and written policies for visitors including sign-in procedures; enforce written policies on a daily basis
- Escort visitors to appropriate areas of the O'Brian Centre and ensure areas are secure upon departure of visitors
3. Record keeping/filing
- Maintain daily log of all donation receipts issued and file of tax receipt copies for the Association and the Foundation
- Maintain daily log of incoming cheques, make photocopies for the Finance Department, direct cheques to appropriate staff for processing and record keeping.
- Maintain daily log of courier records and track invoices
- Maintain daily log of office expenses (purchase orders, invoices, payments etc)
- Maintain central files and affiliate database
- Assist with lottery database updates
- Archive paper files regularly and manage of data storage room.; dispose of archived files when deemed necessary
4. Human Resources / Personnel Records
- Maintain daily records of employees' absences days in accordance with the Employee Handbook policies in company-wide calendar, reception bulletin board, and electronic tracking workbook
- Ensure all employee absences are supported by a signed absence form and follow up on missing forms; provide data at month end to HR
- Liaise with Facilities Manager to order security cards and replacement keys for staff; cancel security cards and ensure all keys are returned for departing staff; keep record of all security cards details currently in use
- Maintain and update a list of employee phone numbers, email addresses, and cellular phone numbers and distribute to all staff upon change
- Maintain a list of emergency contacts for staff
- Provide orientation to newly hired staff and ensure new hires checklist is complete
- Sort and distribute incoming mail, faxes and email daily.
- Process outgoing mail daily
- Ensure that oral communication (both in-person and by phone) is relayed to appropriate staff person
- Liaise with Facilities Manager about repairs and maintenance required in the office space
6. Assists Senior Management (excluding General Director) with the following:
- Calendar and meeting management
- Program and communication activities including but not limited to meeting set-up and booking business travel
- Draft and send office-wide communications through email and bulletin board notices
7. Management of office space, meetings and meeting spaces
- Maintain of the appearance and tidiness of the office through regular contact with cleaners and schedule additional cleaning as required before and after special events etc.
- Upkeep of plants and flowers around the office
- Update calendar and schedule meeting rooms/board rooms for internal and external meetings
- Prepare beverages and catering for internal and external meetings upon request (Excluding Board meetings, annual general meetings, and executive committee)
- Ensure tidiness of meeting rooms before and after scheduled meetings
- Update Martha Lou Henley Rehearsal Hall and coaching room rentals in company-wide calendar
8. Office equipment and kitchen appliances/supplies
- Serve as primary liaison with the landlord and other regular service providers (internet, phone, photocopier, mail machine, fax, recycling, cleaners, alarm, etc.)
- Maintain the general filing system and file all correspondence relating to office equipment and supplies management
- Keep copies of service contracts and contact lists and ensure expiring contracts are cancelled/renewed as appropriate through discussions with DFA and Facilities Manager
- Maintain an adequate inventory of office supplies (toner, printer cartridges, paper, desk supplies) and kitchen supplies (tea, sugar, milk, coffee etc), place orders and receive orders. Process purchase orders and submit for review and payment to accounts payable
- Coordinate the repair and maintenance of office equipment. Ensure follow through on maintenance agreements or contracts
- Oversee daily and weekly maintenance of office machines (paper trays, toner cartridge ordering, installation and disposals)
- Monitor and fill mail machine for postage payable to Pitney Bowes, and ensure regular ordering of supplies including seals, etc
- Coordinate the repair and/or replacement of kitchen appliances and utensils etc
- Prepare and submit proposed budget for approval for office income and office supplies/kitchen supplies expense
- Monitor budget against actual income/expenses and report monthly to DFA
- Submit monthly counters for leased office equipment to DFA at month end and to lease equipment service companies
- Review monthly invoices from equipment leasing companies to ensure that charged amounts agree with contract and monthly counters. Reconcile discrepancies in billings with leasing/servicing companies
- Assist with the annual renewal of facilities insurance paperwork, and obtaining certificate of insurance from the underwriter for special events and equipment
- Assist with annual survey submissions to Opera America and other organizations
10. Building Health & Safety
- Co-chair the building health & safety committee and lead the efforts of establishing Health & Safety policies and writing procedures in accordance with legal requirements.
- Lead the implementation of established procedures throughout the Company.
- Coordinate external first aid training (i.e. registration, selecting employee to attend etc) and ensure appropriate first aid trained staff is onsite for special events, rehearsals and performances through liaison with stage management and development staff.
- Provide safety tour and keys tour to newly hired staff.
- Serve as main point contact for all work place injuries and accidents.
- Ensure completion of incident reports and assist with filings with WorkSafe BC through completion of employee forms and collecting supporting documents for each claim. Liaise with WorkSafe on claim status.
- Renew business license of VOA and VOF with the City of Vancouver on an annual basis. Ensure updated business license appropriately displayed at Reception area.
- Renew annual filings of the VOA and VOF
11. Special projects / Additional duties
- Complete as deemed necessary by the DFA and Administration
- University graduate
- At least 2 years experiences of office administrative activities
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Computer literate in MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and other programs
- Experience working in an office environment and supporting a team
- Self-motivated and resourceful, with the proven ability to multi-task and operate successfully under tight deadlines and time pressures
- Energetic and enjoys a fast pace, dynamic, challenging and team-oriented work environment
- Basic knowledge of accounting will be an asset
- Strong writing, reading, listening and speaking communications skills
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
Please submit cover letter and resume by mail or email to:
Catriona Cheng, Director, Finance and Administration
1945 McLean Drive
Vancouver, BC V5N 3J7
No telephone calls, please. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview
- Commensurate with experience.
- Full time permanent employment status is subject to three months probation period performance assessment. Benefits subject to successful completion of probationary period.