Summer Program Assistant (subject to Canada Summer Jobs funding)
Reporting to the Executive Director and working directly with the programming team, the Summer Program Assistant will facilitate all aspects of the Summer Fun! Art Camp, for children ages 5 and up, and the ArtReach Camp, an outreach initiative aimed at children who face socio-economic barriers to our regular summer programs. The Summer Fun! program will provide up to 2500 spaces for children and youth to experience an art camp that includes programming in visual arts, drama, dance, and music.
NATURE & SCOPE:
1. Camp Participants: Responsible for the safety and organization of up to 120 students per day
2. Clients: Ensure ongoing communication with clients before, throughout and following the program to ensure that both Place des Arts and the clients have all of the information they require in a timely manner.
3. Teachers: Ensure that teachers have the information and resources available to fulfil their role throughout the program.
4. Volunteers: Work with the Volunteer Coordinator to recruit, train, schedule and supervise volunteer assistants throughout the Summer Fun! Program.
5. Friday Fun Day: Work with the Events Assistant to coordinate a weekly “Friday Fun Day” to showcase the artwork and performances of students.
6. Promotion: Assist the Communications Coordinator in the preparation and distribution of promotional materials to identify and communicate to target audiences.
7. Reporting: Complete a final report describing the work plan, compiling registration numbers, summarizing evaluations, and offering recommendations to improve the program.
Tracking enrolment numbers according to course, age group and discipline.
Communicate with teachers regarding their needs and requirements for the program.
Assist the Volunteer Coordinator in the recruitment, training, scheduling, overseeing and recognition of volunteer program assistants for the summer program.
Organize, attend and report on pre and post-program meetings with teachers and volunteers.
Attend and participate in staff meetings to report on the summer program.
Assist the Communications Coordinator in identifying promotional needs and preparing and distributing promotional materials.
Ensure that all registrations are complete and that all client information (especially emergency contact and information regarding special needs and health concerns) is documented.
Communicate with teachers and volunteer program assistants regarding specific needs of students.
Prepare class and attendance lists and nametags for volunteers, students and teachers.
Prepare room set up diagrams and communicate this to contractor responsible for setting up rooms and preparing equipment prior to program start.
Prepare handbook for volunteer program assistants.
Previous experience developing youth programs and/or working with children
Excellent communication, writing and organization skills for a fast-paced environment
Well organized, detail-oriented, and be able to work with a variety of personalities
Strong desire to provide exceptional customer service
Must have a flexible work schedule which can accommodate daytime, evening and weekend shifts and additional hours as needed
Proficiency in MS Office, navigating the internet and the ability to use new software
Must be between 15 and 30 years of age at start of employment
Must have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year, and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year
Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person on whom refugee protection had been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
Must be legally entitled to work according to relevant provincial legislation and regulations
Must not hold another full-time (30 or more hours) summer job or full-time study during their employment
Please submit a resume with cover letter and references by 31 March 2010 to:
1120 Brunette Avenue, Coquitlam, BC V3K 1G2
Or fax to: 604-664-1658
Or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Place des Arts is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
Full-time, 14 week contract Monday to Friday (subject to Canada Summer Jobs funding)
Start date: 17 May 2010
Rate: $14 / hr (37.5 hour work week)