Pro Development FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

As many of you have noticed, the weblinks section of our website has grown to the point where we can no longer keep it up to date. Due to this, we have taken it off-line. However, we have created this handy FAQ that we hope you should answer some of your questions.

Please note that unless you are a member organization, we will no longer be linking to individual websites. 

How do I get a grant?

There are several different levels of public funding available to arts organizations, as well as a wide range of private funding avenues. The Canada Council for the Arts is a good place to start, as well as the BC Arts Council and the City of Vancouver Department of Cultural Services. Beyond that, your options greatly depend on your specific discipline and the artistic practice you engage in. We advise taking a grant-writing workshop, checking with your discipline's service organization, and taking a look at similar organizations to find out where they received their funding.  

Where do I find grant-writers/help writing grants?

If you contact the office, we can send you information about the few paid grant-writers in the city; however, there are not very many of them. The Alliance for Arts and Culture offers a grant-writing workshop every year; check the main page for details. Over and above those two options, we recommend checking with the funding bodies directly, or consulting with a senior arts administrator about your grant.  

I'm new to town and want to network. How do I connect with people in my discipline?

We recommend starting with individual service organizations from each disciplines. Here are a few to get you started:

Visual artsCanadian Artists' Representation/Le Front des artistes canadiens (CARFAC) and the Federation of Canadian Artists.

Theatre: The Greater Vancouver Professional Theatre Alliance has a comprehensive list of theatre companies in the city.

New Media: DigiBC - The Digital Media and Wireless Association of BC (the newly merged association between New Media BC and WINBC) is your gateway to this sector. VIVO Media Arts is also a leader in this field, with new media and electronic arts workshops and exhibitions, as well as video production and post-production facilities and equipment.

Dance: Check out The Canadian Alliance of Dance Artists (CADA), the Dance Centre, and the Dancer Transition Resource Centre.

Film and Video: Cineworks is a great place to start if you're an emerging filmmaker; you also might want to check out the BC Film CommissionBC Film also publishes a fantastic resource on their site that you can find here.

Literary Arts: Start with the Federation of BC Writers and the Association of Book Publishers of BC.

Music: Music BC and the Canadian Music Centre have some helpful resources.

Artisans: Check with the Crafts Council of BC.

Where do I find help for artists with disabilities?

We recommend checking with Kickstart Disability Arts and Culture and BC Coalition of People with Disabilities. They should be able to help you find what you need.

I'm an actor. Where do I find information about auditions?

We provide an excellent Calls for Artists board that posts information about upcoming auditions. You might also want to keep an eye on the Vancouver Public Library Audition Board.

Where do I find arts programs for my kids?

There are many organizations devoted to providing arts opportunities for children in this city. Here are a few you can start with: ArtStarts in SchoolsArts UmbrellaCirKids, and Vancouver Youth Theatre.

I want to put on a play/rehearse a dance number/get the band together. Where do we go?

The City of Vancouver Department of Cultural Services has created an excellent searchable Performing Arts Facilities Inventory.

Where can I find a meeting space in Vancouver?

We here at the Alliance for Arts and Culture rent out our boardroom. You can find out more information here. You might also want to check with the following organizations:Canadian Music CentreChrist Church Cathedral CentreEmily Carr Institute of Art & DesignGranville Island HotelRoundhouse Community CentreSFU @ Harbour Centre, The Dance CenterVancouver Public Library and the YWCA

I want to see a show? What's on?

Tourism Vancouver has a fairly comprehensive calendar of events online. You can also visit Tickets Tonight to purchase day-of half-price ticketsOtherwise, we suggest checking out the event listings in the Georgia Straight.

I need legal advice.  Where do I go?

If you are an artist or an arts organization you can contact the Artists Legal Outreach (ALO) that provides summary legal advice to artists by donation. For more information, visit the ALO page.  

I want to start a non-profit organization. What do I do?

The Artists Legal Outreach is available to you as well. By donation information and advice is available to all groups of folk who wish to form non-profits and charities. The BC Societies Act can be found online.  

I am looking for a job in the arts and cultural sector. Where do I start?

Check out our job board!

I want information on Boards of Directors.

Please check out Vantage Point for more information.

Do you know anyone who does bookkeeping for arts organizations?

For that, we'll refer you to Quantum Accounting Services Inc, who just happen to do our books!

Do you provide Directors Liability Insurance?

We do not. However, there is insurance offered through the ArtsBC to their members. There is also insurance available through Volunteer Canada.