ArtStarts in Schools
Interviews will take place on a rolling basis.
ArtStarts in Schools provides innovative arts programs for young people, practical resources for teachers and artists, and leadership in advocacy for arts in education. ArtStarts envisions a society where the arts are regarded as an essential part of educating young people and a catalyst for creating innovative, engaged and contributing members of society.
Volunteer Opportunity Description:
ArtStarts in Schools is a Vancouver-based not-for-profit organization that has provided innovative arts programs for young people, practical resources for teachers and artists, and leadership in advocacy for arts in education since 1996. We are excited about having a leadership role in shaping a society where the arts are regarded as an essential part of educating young people and a catalyst for creating innovative, engaged and contributing members of society. With total revenues of $2.9 million in 2014, ArtStarts provided 640,000 unique arts experiences for young people in urban, rural and remote BC communities.
Operating as a true governing body, the ArtStarts Board concentrates on the organization’s vision, mission, and long- term goals, rather than focusing on internal operations. Board members meet regularly to provide oversight and strengthen the organization through strategic leadership (setting priorities and monitoring performance), generative thinking (big picture and issues), and fiduciary responsibility (legal obligations and due diligence). We regularly assess our performance and effectiveness as a board and have an active board development plan.
One of the President's primary responsibilities is to support this model of governance, which ultimately supports ArtStarts to successfully fulfill its mandate of promoting art and creativity among British Columbia's young people.
ArtStarts is committed to ensuring our Board reflects the communities we serve. Our recruitment processes strive to ensure a diversity of backgrounds and experiences are represented, including ethnicity, gender, age, geography and cultural background.
As the President, you will provide key leadership to the organization while working with the Executive Director, Board, staff and community to further the mission of ArtStarts. Duties include:
- Act as coach, captain and catalyst for the Board
- Actively build ongoing relationships with Board Members and external stakeholders
- Commit to the mission and vision of ArtStarts; act as a representative at key events
- Work with the Executive Director to plan an effective agenda for monthly board meetings
- Ensure there is a regular, effective process of Board goal setting and evaluation
- Initiate and lead annual Executive Director review and succession planning, together with the Governance Committee
- Serve as a Governance Committee member; strengthen board continuity of leadership
- Support special events and key meetings with stakeholders as required
- The time commitment for the President is approximately 7 to 10 hours per month. Board meetings typically take place from 5:00-6:30pm on the third Thursday of each month. In addition, the Board meets in person three times per year (on a Friday night and from 9am to 3pm on the following Saturday). As President, you are expected to serve on the Governance Committee, which involves attending approximately 4 to 8 meetings per year and working on deliverables between meetings, and to have a weekly call with the Executive Director.
Join our team because...
- You will have the opportunity to engage a diverse Board and support an experienced team to surface and integrate the best that everyone has to offer;
- You will collaborate with people who are curious, who challenge each other to have critical conversations, and who demonstrate sincere commitment to the success of the organization;
- You want to grow the organization’s capability for excellence, and continue strengthening the relationships that anchor our mission;
- The Board is eager to serve as an effective governing body, to monitor the performance of the organization, and to regularly evaluate its own performance;
- You will have the opportunity to network in the arts and education sectors;
- You will have professional growth opportunities through guest speakers and workshops;
- The current President and Executive Director will work closely with you – by providing training, mentorship and support – before transitioning you into the role.
We are looking for a relationship-oriented individual with previous governance experience to provide key leadership for our organization. This is a unique opportunity to lead the Board, strengthen our team, guide our strategic direction, and grow our impact in the community.
The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of and experience with non-profit board governance, working knowledge of how to develop and grow an organization, and demonstrated community leadership experience. Previous involvement in the arts or in arts advocacy would be a significant asset.
￼This opportunity is for you if you:
- Are a facilitative leader with a track record of effectively engaging and bringing out the best in others
- Are a strategic thinker with a proven history of leading (or contributing to) strategic plans
- Are a visionary and are able to view the organization and its mission in broad terms
- Have an ability to work as part of a collaborative team, flexing with the needs of the organization and its internal and external stakeholders
- Have a genuine interest in promoting art and creativity.
How to Apply:
Please apply with a cover letter and resumé to the Governance Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
In your cover letter, please address the following two questions:
1. What do you hope to gain from being an ArtStarts Board Member?
2. What do you hope to contribute as an ArtStarts Board Member?
Interviews will take place on a rolling basis.