Firehall Arts Centre
Dec. 20, 2016
The Firehall Arts Centre is a not-for-profit charitable organization whose mandate is to produce and present theatre, dance and inter-disciplinary works inclusive and reflective of Canada’s diversity – opening doors through the arts in celebration of the Canadian experience. Located in a heritage fire station built in 1906, the Firehall Arts Centre also acts as a host to visual arts exhibitions in its intimate gallery/lounge. Embarking on its 34th season this fall, the Firehall Arts Centre houses a 136 to 174 seat flexible theatre which produces and presents its own season, as well as functions as an active rental venue for many local artists and arts organizations. The Firehall is a conscientious, respected community leader and artistic hub in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside. 2016/17 season productions can be found on our website at www.firehallartscentre.ca.
Volunteer Opportunity Description:
If you are a self-starter looking to get some valuable marketing experience, this volunteer position might be just for you. Be a part of a small, dynamic team of people who are passionate about the arts and their role in the community.
The Firehall Arts Centre is currently seeking a volunteer Marketing Strategist to lead the development of marketing strategies for the organization in collaboration with various staff members. This position is designed for a highly-motivated, self-starter who thrives in a creative environment and wants to augment their current education and skills through hands-on experience within a thriving arts organization.
Working with the Firehall’s Artistic Producer, General Manager, Publicist and Marketing Assistant, the Marketing Strategist will play a leadership role in the development of marketing strategies for the organization including:
• Formulating suggestions for seasonal and longer-range company marketing goals
• Creating marketing campaigns to promote the organization’s shows and events, including print, radio and digital media ad buys
• Advising on the creation and timing of marketing collateral (flyers, posters, etc.)
• Providing recommendations on maintaining and developing media partnerships
• Helping to identify potential new audiences
• Generating ideas around growing the current passholder base
• Ensuring strategies are cost-effective and realistic given limited budgets available within not-for-profit organizations
• Gain first-hand career experience in a not-for-profit organization
• Work with the Firehall’s staff and other stakeholders as appropriate
• Delve into creative marketing strategy
• Have significant impact in the future of an important Vancouver arts organization
• Develop references and contacts for potential future employment
• Enjoy complimentary tickets to a dozen different 2016/17 Firehall performances
• Add professional marketing leadership experience to your resume
• Utilize your Firehall marketing plans and collateral for your professional portfolio
• Community knowledge/awareness
• Project management
• Problem solving
• Not-for-profit sector knowledge
The ideal candidate will have a passionate commitment to theatre and dance and a genuine interest in the work of the Firehall. Relevant post-secondary education in Marketing or Arts Administration (or equivalent experience) is highly desirable.
The Firehall is an equal opportunity employer interested in positive, creative candidates who bring a new perspective to a wonderful team.
Other qualifications include:
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• High standard of organization and efficiency
• Familiarity with marketing plans and campaigns
• Knowledge of event marketing and local media vehicles
• Ability to work independently and to meet deadlines
• Ability to work in a team environment
How to Apply:
Please send an application complete with resume and availability to:
Firehall Arts Centre
280 East Cordova Street
Vancouver, BC V6A 1L3