North Vancouver Recreation & Culture
Apr. 15, 2018
Call for Artists Description:
This is a public art call for Expressions of Interest (EOI) from the City of North Vancouver’s Public Art Program and Polygon Homes Ltd. seeking an artist or artist team to create a site-specific, light-based public artwork to be featured in a vehicular tunnel in the Lower Lonsdale area.
The tunnel is located underneath the ICBC headquarters building and leads vehicle and pedestrian traffic through the local transit hub. Now 34 years old, the tunnel has been identified as an opportunity for a light-based artwork. Art-light installations, including interactive lighting displays, have been used in other regions to transform difficult public spaces. It is envisioned that a light-based artwork would make this location more visually dynamic, engaging, inviting and playful for all members of the community, especially given that the tunnel also now functions as a vital link in the North Shore wide multi-use
To find out more about this exciting opportunity and for details on how to submit, please visit the web site: https://www.nvrc.ca/arts-culture/public-art/public-art-calls/vehicular-tunnel-light-based-public-art
How to Apply:
This public art call is open to artists (or artist teams) with a body of work consistent with the
proposed public art intent for the tunnel site. Artist and/or artist teams are required to demonstrate successful completion of one or more projects with a budget of at least $50k and proven experience working with light as an artistic medium.
Artists that meet the eligibility requirements are invited to submit their Expression of Interest including the following information:
1. Letter of Interest – briefly outlining your interest and suitability for the project. Do not include a concept proposal. Only short-listed artists will be required to present concepts.
2. Current CV/Resume– provided for each member of a team, include current contact information.
3. Digital Images – up to 12 digital images of previous public art projects.
4. Image List – a numbered image list with the artist’s name and a brief description of each artwork (title; date completed; size; location; and commissioned value).
5. Confirmed eligibility - Image list must include at least one example of a completed artist project with a budget of at least $50k that used light as an artistic medium
6. References – Contact information for two commissioning agencies and one design professional (i.e. architect, landscape architect, engineer, graphic designer, etc.) with knowledge of the artist’s work and working methods would be provided.
Submissions accepted by email or direct delivery as follows:
Email to: email@example.com
Subject line to be “Promenade–Your Last Name” (i.e. Promenade-Smith).
Preferably in one PDF Acrobat format file, no more than 5MB.
PDF file should not be secured, as image(s) may need to be extracted for presentation
Delivered (on a PC compatible CD or USB memory stick) to:
North Vancouver Recreation & Culture Commission
851 West Queens Road, V7N 4E3
Attention: NVRC Public Art Officer, Lori Phillips
Note: EOI submissions will not be returned.
Contact Name: Lori Phillips
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org