City of White Rock
Apr. 20, 2018
Call for Artists Description:
The City of White Rock seeks proposals from artists’ teams to occupy and utilize an empty retail space in uptown White Rock - 15140 North Bluff Road (Central
Plaza). The intent is to utilize retail space for artists to work (artist in residence), to sell work, to rehearse or to produce creative projects.
1. To encourage the growth of the creative sector in White Rock.
2. To facilitate and inspire
new artistic and creative businesses.
3. To expand people’s understanding and appreciation of the variety of creative endeavors that exists in the City of White Rock.
4. To position uptown as a visitor destination and a cultural district.
5. To enliven uptown White Rock by expanding commercial activity. The success of this project will depend on the commitment of participating artists to volunteer their time and ensure smooth operation of the project.
At least one of the artists or curator must reside in White Rock or South Surrey in order to be eligible for the use of this space.
The empty storefront is free of charge and the City of White Rock will pay utility fees.
- Artists must ensure the space is open to the public for a minimum of four days a week, including Saturdays.
- Openings to occur on the first Thursday of the month.
- Only teams of artists (minimum three artists) or arts societies/organizations are eligible.
- The group must provide short-term general liability insurance.
- Artists must pay a $150 damage deposit. The funds will be returned subject to an inspection at the end of the tenancy.
- Artists are responsible for their own sales and retain 100% of revenue.
1. Overall concept and project feasibility.
2. Quality of proposal: Innovative ideas, potential for creating excitement, pushing artistic limits.
3. Artistic merit and professional record of achievement.
4. Appropriateness of project for a temporary space.
5. How the project proposes to engage the neighbourhood.
How to Apply:
Download an application from the website and submit online prior to April 20, 2018