Apr. 30, 2018
Call for Artists Description:
Based on the overwhelming success of its inaugural Choreographic Lab in July 2017, Dance Victoria has engaged celebrated choreographer Wen Wei Wang to lead a two-week intensive for three emerging BC choreographers and six BC dancers in July 2018. All positions are paid.
Wen Wei will create a company of six dancers (three women and three men) and two apprentices from a series of workshops and auditions in Victoria and Vancouver. He’ll also work with Dance Victoria’s Stephen White and Bernard Sauvé, to select three participating choreographers via an application process.
Each day will start at 9:30AM with a 1.5 hour technique class led by Wen Wei. At 11AM Wen Wei will assign the day’s task. The choreographers will then select dancers and move to a studio where they will have the afternoon to generate material based on the task. At 5PM, the company of dancers and choreographers will reconvene to show and discuss the work they’ve accomplished that day. In the second week, the public will be invited to these daily showings and participate in the discussion led by Wen Wei.
The lab will culminate with the presentation of the best pieces (or studies) from the process, presented to the public on Saturday, July 28 at Dance Victoria Studios.
Wang, White and Sauvé will select a total of three emerging choreographers to participate in the Choreographic Lab via an application process
How to Apply:
Eligible candidates will have:
• Choreographed a minimum of three different pieces each of five minutes or more. Solos are excluded;
• Completed formal training as either a dancer or choreographer;
• Had experience working in the professional dance milieu; and
• Demonstrate a desire to continue to grow their practice and to be open to direction
Consideration will be given to mid-career dance artists who identify as emerging (eg. dancers transitioning to choreography). Rationale for this consideration will need to be provided in the artist’s application.
Deadline: April 30, 2018 at 4:00 pm
1. A current resumé that highlights choreographic experience,
2. Critical responses to your work, if any,
3. Links to three un-edited work samples (Vimeo, full access),
4. Contact details including street address,
5. Choreographic Statement (maximum two pages) that includes: What draws you to choreography? Why do you want to make dance works?
6. Self-evaluation: What are your current strengths and challenges as a choreographer? Where do you fee you need to grow?
7. What do you expect to take away from this experience?
8. Describe your approach making a new work. What do you do in the studio?
9. What would you consider your best work and why?
10. Reference letters from two senior artists, producers or other dance professionals.
Choreographers: Submit your proposal to Stephen White, Executive Producer at Dance Victoria.
No later than 4:00 pm Monday, April 30, 2018
A total fee of $1,000
Non Victoria-based participants will be provided with free accommodation, a daily per diem of $50 and a travel allowance to cover return ferry transportation (Vancouver>Victoria>Vancouver).