City of Richmond


Apr. 6, 2018

Call for Artists Description: 

The Writer-in-Residence Program is hosted by the Richmond Library’s Brighouse Branch, Minoru Place Activity Centre and Arts Centre. It is aimed at delivering hands-on programming that helps local residents foster a greater appreciation for Canadian writing. This full-time residency position runs from September 29 to November 30, 2018. Authors spend 25% of their time on public programs and projects, leaving 75% of the work week available for creative writing. 

For more information on the program and events, visit richmond.ca/writerinresidence. Past writers include Nilofar Shidmehr, Karen X. Tulchinsky, Caroline Adderson, Nancy Lee, Mark Leiren-Young and Sally Stubbs.


  • Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
  • Minimum one critically well-received title published professionally: fiction, short stories, poetry, drama or literary non-fiction
  • Professional teaching or public speaking experience
  • Comfortable and willing to engage with the public one-on-one and in group settings
  • Active participant in the local writing community
  • In the early working stage of a new writing project intended for book-length publication

Expressions of interest must include:
1. Cover letter – including a clear plan for public programming during the residency
2. Resumé – including a history of literary publications, previous community engagement experience, teaching experiences, conducting library programs, facilitating workshops or other forms of public presentation.
3. Contact information for three references
4. 20−30 page (max.) sample of recent writing along with reviews of earlier works
5. Considered for 2018 and/or 2019 residency

How to Apply: 

Applications can be mailed or emailed as a Word document or PDF:

ATTN: Author Residency Selection Committee
c/o Winnie Wong
Richmond Arts Centre
7700 Minoru Gate, Richmond, B.C. V6V 1R9

or email to wwong2@richmond.ca

Contact Name: Winnie Wong
Contact Email: wwong2@richmond.ca
Contact Phone: (604) 247-8320



©2018 BC Alliance for Arts + Culture. All rights reserved | Privacy Policy