Semiahmoo Arts Society
Jan. 15, 2018
We are an arts organization; providing arts and culture services to South Surrey & White Rock since 1974.
We depend on donors and volunteers to fulfil our mission:
1. We create sustainable employment for local arts instructors; and offer affordable quality art education for all ages in a wide variety of disciplines.
2. We manage a premium pottery studio space which allows artists drop-in participation and classes.
3. We partner with The City of White rock to provide Art on Display program which gives exhibition opportunities to local and non-local artists.
4. We support our member artists by offering art rental and rent-to-own; making art ownership accessible to everyone in our community.
5. We host literary greatness by bringing established writers to the community for our series, Readings by the Salish Sea.
6. We operate the Turnbull Gallery – a stepping stone gallery space that helps ensure success when local artist are ready to approach commercial galleries. We provide facilities, curatorial services, and exhibition education while giving artist 80% of all art sales.
Arts for Everyone.
Semiahmoo Arts Society is a catalyst for strengthening the arts and their value in our community.
Summary of Responsibilities: Reporting to the Executive Director, the part-time Office Assistant works with staff to ensure smooth operations including but not limited to: staffing the office and customer service; assisting with facility operations and rentals; assistance with special events and other programs.
• Acts as the first point of contact with phone calls and walk-ins.
• Processes sales in the form of cash, cheque, debit and credit card for ticket sales to events, memberships, facility rentals, clay and drop-in sales and the sale of artwork.
• Assists with the running of facilities, including maintaining room usage calendars, key distribution, signage.
• Assists with facility rentals, including inquiries, contracts, setup and take-down.
• Ensures facilities and equipment are maintained and cleaned.
• Assists with coordinating programs and special events and staffing those events.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for arts and culture with a knowledge of the local arts scene.
• Experience working in an office environment, with arts administration experience preferred
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with ability to work effectively with the public, members, staff, board and volunteers
• Excellent customer service skills
• Solid knowledge in effectively using MS Office, social media platforms and wordpress. Basic bookkeeping knowledge is an asset
• Strong organization and time management skills
• Must have or willing to get valid first-aid certification
• This is a permanent, part-time position with approximately 20 hours per week.
• Must be able to work Saturdays.
• Some weekend and evening shifts will be required for special events.
• Ability to cover other staff shifts for vacation, sick days, etc. is desired.
• Start date is negotiable.
How to Apply:
How to Apply: Please submit cover letter with expected wage and résumé outlining qualifications to Barb Nelson, Executive Director email@example.com. No phone calls please. Only those candidates shortlisted will be contacted.