Oct. 24, 2018
In 1980, a group of Vancouver actors came together, formed a co-op and experimented with a newly evolving theatre genre, TheatreSports™, which gave birth to the entire realm of improv comedy. Since then, the company has evolved to become Vancouver’s, and one of North America’s, leading improv comedy companies – Vancouver TheatreSports™ (VTS), with an annual budget in excess of $2.5 million. A registered not-for-profit charity, VTS provides employment for nearly 85 people and runs its own theatre, The Improv Centre - a fully-licensed venue with a Bar & Lounge on Granville Island. VTS currently performs 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year producing close to 700 individual performances that attract more than 60,000 patrons each year. It also operates a professional theatre school, The Improv Comedy Institute. In addition, it has a corporate training division, Improv for Business, which conducts leadership training and team-building for companies such as Microsoft, GE, and PCL. Our Improv for Events division regularly tours throughout BC providing customized performances.
Reporting to the Director of Finance, you will play a key role in maintaining administrative and financial systems that impact every area of the organization. You are detail-oriented, extremely organized and enjoy problem-solving in a high-volume, dynamic and creative environment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist with monthly reconciliation of box office and concession transactions
• Identify and resolve discrepancies
• Enter deposits and credit card transactions from multiple POS systems
• Assist with payroll: enter timesheets, reconcile contractor invoices, monthly benefits
• Assist with A/R and A/P: enter and issue invoices to clients, process A/P
• Maintain filing systems
• Assist with year-end processes
• Experience with accounting software (preferably AccountEdge, Sage, or Quickbooks)
• Proficient in Excel
• Handling and processing large volumes of numerical data
• Ease with IT systems in a Windows-based environment
• Understanding of basic accounting and payroll principles
• Assets: experience with Theatre Manager, Moneris, Profitek
Key Traits of the Successful Candidate:
• Thrives on understanding the details and problem-solving with a high degree of accuracy
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Enjoys changing workloads along with routine tasks in a deadline-driven department
• Self-motivated, flexible, enthusiastic with a willingness to learn and grow in the company
• Passionate about theatre and its role in the community
• Embraces the concept of ‘yes, and…’
How to Apply:
Please email your cover letter and resume to:
Interviews will be conducted as qualified applications are received.
Hours: 37.5 hours per week. Compensation: Hourly. $22-24 per hour depending on experience, plus paid vacation, flex schedule and benefits after probationary period.
Contact Email: email@example.com