Nov. 2, 2018
Arts Umbrella is where young artists ages 2–22 cultivate their creativity in Dance, Theatre, and Visual Arts. As a non-profit organization for arts education, we believe that art is powerful. Powerful enough to change kids’ lives in incredible ways. When young people connect with the arts, they gain self-confidence, develop self-discipline, and discover creative expression—things they carry with them for life. Arts Umbrella has four locations in Vancouver and Surrey, as well as donor-funded programs at schools, community centres, neighbourhood houses, and healthcare facilities across Metro Vancouver. We reach close to 21,000 students every year, with nearly 80% participating at little to no cost.
Now celebrating its 40th year, Arts Umbrella will be moving into the South Building of the former Emily Carr University of Art + Design on Granville Island in late 2019. This exceptional opportunity will allow Arts Umbrella to further our vision for a better world where all young lives are inspired to pursue a lifelong journey towards self-expression, compassion, and humanity. It is our mission to be Canada’s leader in arts education for young people; to build community and deliver profound life experiences through our commitment to innovation, excellence, and inclusivity. Arts Umbrella is an organization full of heart, where self-expression and creativity are valued and nurtured.
As the first point of contact for Arts Umbrella, our Student Services Assistants support Arts Umbrella by responding to general inquiries in person, over the phone and by email. We currently have openings for casual part-time Mandarin Speaking Student Services Assistants in our Granville Island and South Surrey locations.
• Assists Mandarin-speaking customers with general inquires and registrations.
• Providing exceptional customer service to parents, students, external and internal contacts in both Mandarin and English.
• Assist parents with the online registration system through problem solving and excellent customer service skills.
• Maintains current knowledge of Arts Umbrella’s programs including class schedules, course content and instructors.
• Enrolls, withdraws and transfers students, referring more complex inquiries to the Coordinator, Programming.
• Performs ActiveNet (Student registration system) data entry, including maintaining up to date knowledge of the use of ActiveNet for clients, instructors and administration.
• Maintains a positive attitude when dealing with all inquiries.
• Administers first aid in accordance with established procedures and first aid training.
• Maintenance of lobby appearance and order.
• Performs other duties in keeping with the purpose & accountabilities of the job.
An ideal candidate for this position would have some post-secondary education and one to
three years of experience in a customer service or receptionist role working with the public or an equivalent combination of education or experience. Students Welcome!
• Fluency in Mandarin (speaking) and English (speaking & writing) a requirement. Mandarin writing skills an asset.
• Exceptional customer service skills, including communication in person, by phone and email.
• Intuitive and problem solving ability – able to respond to inquiries proactively.
• Strong multi-tasking skills; able to prioritize and manage competing priorities.
• Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications and computer skills.
• Experience with ActiveNet or other database software an asset.
How to Apply:
If you would like to make a difference in the lives of kids & teens in Metro Vancouver, and just
love everything about customer service, please forward your resume and cover letter in one document to email@example.com no later than 4 PM Friday, November 2nd indicating South Surrey or Granville Island Mandarin Speaking Student Services Assistant in the subject line.
We will review resumes as they arrive and schedule interviews when appropriate.
Arts Umbrella thanks all applicants for their interest and advises that only those selected for an
interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
$13.50 - $14.00 per hour
Contact Name: Glenda Love-Hirsch
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: (604) 681-5268