IATSE Local 118
Mar 4, 2018
Founded in 1904, IATSE local 118 (International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees of the United States and Canada) is the labour union supplying technicians, stagehands, artisans and craftspeople to the Greater Vancouver entertainment industry, including live theatre, rock and roll, and trade shows, and conventions. Local 118 has a large, skilled, and experienced workforce.
The Bookkeeper reports to the IATSE Local 118 Executive Board, with the primary supervisor being the Financial Secretary – Treasurer, and maintains records of financial transactions by establishing accounts; posting transactions and ensuring compliance with legal requirements. This is a role that calls for a highly organized individual with a great attention to detail. The ideal candidate is committed, understands the bigger picture and is a good communicator.
• General Ledger accounting via database (Sage 50 and Sage 300)
• Monitor Accounts Payable
• Preparation of monthly and annual financial reports
• Preparation of financial information for annual audit
• Preparation of reports as required by Executive Board
• Receive and process dues payments
• Track and report member dues status
• Track Employer payments
• Provide information for WCB claims
• Assist with creation of annual budget
• Assist with the tasks of receiving calls, taking messages and providing office presence
• Assist the Payroll Clerk, and provide vacation coverage, as needed
• Work in coordination with the Office Production Coordinator, providing assistance and vacation coverage as needed
• Attend and provide reports at Executive meetings as required
• Other duties as required.
Minimum qualifications to successfully perform the job of Bookeeper are:
• 3 years of bookkeeping experience
• Excellent English language skills
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office software, particularly Excel
• Proficiency with accounting systems and practices
• Experience preparing financial reports for audits and monthly or quarterly reports
• Up-to-date with advancements in accounting software and office applications
• Ability to multitask, prioritize daily workload and work under the pressure of tight deadlines
• Solid organizational skills with good attention to detail
• Flexibility and adaptability
• Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and to exercise diplomacy and discretion.
While not required, assets that are considered preferable for the Bookkeeper are:
• Post-secondary training in accounting/bookkeeping
• > 3 years of bookkeeping experience
• Proficiently in Sage 300 and 50
• Experience in entertainment production industry
• Experience working in a Union environment
• Willingness to work evening and weekend hours when required
• Experience creating budgets and estimates
• Confidence adhering to the scope of duties assigned
How to Apply:
Interested applicants please send a cover letter and résumé directly to the Hiring Committee via the IATSE Local 118 office with “[Your Lastname]_Bookkeeper” in the subject line by end of day Sunday March 4, 2018.
The Local is an equal opportunity employer and committed to employment equity, and requests any accommodations be noted in cover letters to ensure reasonable preparations may be made. We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
$40,000 - $45,000 commensurate with experience