PAL Studio Theatre
PAL Studio Theatre is the cultural hub of Coal Harbour, Vancouver and is located at Cardero and West Georgia Streets. Housed on the 8th floor of the Performing Arts Lodge (PAL) Vancouver, the PAL Studio Theatre Society operates a 150-seat, air-conditioned studio theatre as a rental facility for a range of events including theatre, dance, choral, musical productions, rehearsals, auditions, workshops, fundraisers and corporate meetings., weddings and special events. The Pat Armstrong Lounge and a lush rooftop garden and patio serve as the lobby and adjunctive space for the theatre.
Reporting to the Theatre Manager the Front of House Manager is responsible for providing excellent customer service and ensuring a smooth facilitation of the rental events at PAL Studio Theatre. This is a variable hour, on-call, shared position and suitable for people who have flexible schedules and can work on an “as needed” basis. We need to have a FOH Liaison on site for any and all rentals when the public is attending the theatre. This is a key position and requires good people skills, superior communication skills, first aid and CPR training (or ability to acquire same), good organizational skills and a strong sense of responsibility. The applicants need a love of the arts and artists, a sense of the needs of rental clients from the private sector and an awareness of the needs of the general public in attendance. The average number of hours worked will vary but should average about 8 to 16 hours per week during the peak rental periods.
Hours are normally worked in the evening but some daytime calls will be necessary.
The duties and responsibilities of the Front of House Manager include but are not limited to:
- Acting as the HOST representative; liaising between the renter’s representatives, the building personnel, PAL residents and the attending public
- Responding to and managing any emergencies or challenges that may arise during an event.
- The Execution and management of the front of house for the PAL Studio Theatre including all aspects of audience service services. Working with the volunteers ushers, coordinating the opening and closing of the house with the technical staff and so forth.
- Maintaining a professional repore with the client at all times
- Preparation of FOH report of each event with fine details of each event, including patron comments and concerns.
- Ensuring comfort and safety of patrons is maintained during your shift including pre-show, during performances and post-show. Monitoring and reinforcing all other PAL Studio Theatre policies and procedures while rental clients are using the space.
- Preparing and maintaining cleanliness of the venue areas (lobby, theatre house, lobby refrigerator) and coordinating with Theatre manager the cleaning of the venue.
- Confirming Special Occasion License is presented when required and that the client adheres to the applicable by-laws.
- Maintaining a good working knowledge of the facility and alerting Theatre Manager of any maintenance issues or mal function.
- Previous experience working in the performing arts or hospitality sector with specific experience in FOH Previous experience working in the performing arts or hospitality sector with specific experience in FOH
- Exceptional customer service and people skills
- Ability to work calmly under pressure, handle unexpected situations and problem solve.
- Ability to adapt to the variety of our clients and their needs
- Be a strong leader and able to work alone
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Must be physically able to bend and do light lifting
- Serving it Right (an asset but not required)
- Attention to detail Well organized and efficient
- first aid and CPR training
How to Apply:
Please send a resume and cover letter outlining your suitability for the position to Astrid Sars at email@example.com
We thank all who express interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
$18 per hour