Port Moody Arts Centre
Mar. 30, 2018
Housed in the historic Old City Hall and Appleyard House buildings in the heart of Port Moody, the Port Moody Arts Centre is a cultural hub for arts and education. With a mission to promote participation in the arts, we offer a full range of visual, ceramic, theatre, music, and media arts programming for people of all ages and experience levels to explore their creativity. The Arts Centre is also home a public art gallery, showcasing the work of emerging and established artists in a variety of mediums through a professionally curated exhibition program. Celebrating our 20th anniversary, we aim to engage a diverse public and build a culturally richer and more vibrant Port Moody—City of the Arts.
The Port Moody Arts Centre is seeking strategic, creative, and web-savvy applicants for the position of Communications & Administration Assistant. This is a full-time summer student position that provides critical support both within the Arts Centre, as well as for outreach into the community.
This summer student position is subject to Canada Summer Jobs funding. Applicants must be between 19 and 30 years of age at the start of employment and be a full-time student returning to full-time studies in the next academic year.
Employment window: April 23 – September 1. Actual start/end dates will fall within this period.
Under the direction of the General Manager, the Communications & Administration Assistant will support diverse communications and administrative operations at the Port Moody Arts Centre.
Primary tasks and projects include:
• Assist in the development and organization of a photo library for communications, promotion, and marketing purposes
• Conduct a communications audit to examine how we currently reach our audience, assessing the effectiveness of these methods in promoting the Arts Centre’s programs and activities
• Assist in the planning, development, and creation of content for social media and our e-newsletter in support of the Arts Centre’s communications and marketing plan, as well as posting event listings to appropriate digital media outlets
• Perform web content updates and graphic design assistance as needed
• Research, audit, and implement Search Engine Optimization (SEO) strategies to improve the Art Centre’s search engine rankings and help us become more SEO proficient
• Provide support to the Arts Centre’s online registration system (ASAP), including data entry and data management
• Research and assess human resources policies to identify areas for improvement, including the development of an employee handbook.
The Communications & Administration Assistant may also be called upon to provide reception support and other administrative duties as assigned.
• Post-secondary student whose course of study focuses on arts administration, communications, digital media, marketing, business, or related field
• Have a demonstrated interest in digital and social media
• Effective oral and written communication skills, with experience in report writing
• Strong organization and creative problem-solving skills with careful attention to detail
• Excellent time management skills with demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects, tasks, and priorities
• Advanced creative thinking, analytical, and research skills with the ability to take initiative
• Solution-driven with commitment to making things more effective and efficient
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (must be able to use Word and Excel at an intermediate level); experience using Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign), photo-editing software, and web applications an asset
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team environment
Conditions of Employment:
• Must be between 18 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment
• Must have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year
• Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, for the duration of the employment
• Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
• This position requires the completion of a successful criminal background check prior to commencing employment
How to Apply:
Please email your application according to the following guidelines:
• PDF format only with your COVER LETTER and RESUME in the same document
• Please put the title of the job you are applying to, followed by your name in the subject line
• Email to: GeneralMgr@pomoarts.ca
$13.50/hour; 35-hour work week.
Contact Email: GeneralMgr@pomoarts.ca