Port Moody Arts Centre
Mar. 30, 2018
Housed in the historic Old City Hall and Appleyard House buildings in the heart of Port Moody, the Port Moody Arts Centre is a cultural hub for arts and education. With a mission to promote participation in the arts, we offer a full range of visual, ceramic, theatre, music, and media arts programming for people of all ages and experience levels to explore their creativity. The Arts Centre is also home a public art gallery, showcasing the work of emerging and established artists in a variety of mediums through a professionally curated exhibition program. Celebrating our 20th anniversary, we aim to engage a diverse public and build a culturally richer and more vibrant Port Moody—City of the Arts.
The Port Moody Arts Centre is seeking creative, detail-oriented, and enthusiastic applicants with a working knowledge of contemporary art practices for the position of Gallery Assistant. This is a full-time summer student position that provides support in the delivery of our gallery exhibition programs.
This summer student position is subject to Canada Summer Jobs funding. Applicants must be between 19 and 30 years of age at the start of employment and be a full-time student returning to full-time studies in the next academic year.
Employment window: April 23 – September 1. Actual start/end dates will fall within this period.
Under the direction of the Gallery Manager, the Gallery Assistant will assist in the mounting of exhibitions and gallery operations at the Arts Centre by:
• Performing exhibition and arts organization research
• Collecting and organizing submission information (hi-res images, bios, artist statements)
• Gathering content for exhibition promotion material
• Assisting in the development of exhibition promotional material
• Assisting in the installation and take down of exhibitions
• Acting as a gallery guide and responding to public inquiries during exhibitions
• Supporting exhibition opening receptions and other events and activities
• Processing documentation
The Gallery Assistant will also provide daily gallery administrative support to the Gallery Manager, including file management and responding to inquiries, as required.
• Post-secondary student whose course of study focuses on fine arts, art history, art education, museum studies, gallery administration, or other related field
• Have a demonstrated interest in gallery programming and public engagement
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Strong organization, time management, and creative problem-solving skills with an eye for detail
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to engage with socially diverse visitors
• Advanced research skills
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook); experience using Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign) and photo-editing software an asset
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team environment
Conditions of Employment:
• Must be between 18 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment
• Must have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year
• Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, for the duration of the employment
• Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
• This position requires the completion of a successful criminal background check prior to commencing employment
How to Apply:
Please email your application according to the following guidelines:
• PDF format only with your COVER LETTER and RESUME in the same document
• Please put the title of the job you are applying to, followed by your name in the subject line
• Email to: GalleryMgr@pomoarts.ca
Deadline for applications is Friday, March 30, 2018.
$13.50/hour; 35-hour work week.
Contact Email: GalleryMgr@pomoarts.ca