Port Moody Arts Centre
Mar. 30, 2018
Housed in the historic Old City Hall and Appleyard House buildings in the heart of Port Moody, the Port Moody Arts Centre is a cultural hub for arts and education. With a mission to promote participation in the arts, we offer a full range of visual, ceramic, theatre, music, and media arts programming for people of all ages and experience levels to explore their creativity. The Arts Centre is also home a public art gallery, showcasing the work of emerging and established artists in a variety of mediums through a professionally curated exhibition program. Celebrating our 20th anniversary, we aim to engage a diverse public and build a culturally richer and more vibrant Port Moody—City of the Arts.
The Port Moody Arts Centre is seeking qualified, creative, and enthusiastic applicants who have experience working with children for the position of Program Assistant. This is a full-time summer student position that provides an excellent opportunity to connect with families in the community.
This summer student position is subject to Canada Summer Jobs funding. Applicants must be between 19 and 30 years of age at the start of employment and be a full-time student returning to full-time studies in the next academic year.
Employment window: April 23 – September 1. Actual start/end dates will fall within this period.
Reporting to the Program Manager, the Program Assistant will primarily assist with arts program development and delivery for children and youth in our community. The Program Assistant will play a crucial role in Summer Art Camp planning, delivery, and assessment.
Tasks and responsibilities include the following:
• Develop and deliver fun and creative hands-on activities to run before camp, during the lunch break, and during after camp care;
• Introduce volunteers to their assigned roles and activities, working together with the volunteers to offer and lead the activities;
• Lead activities both in the art studios and outdoors to engage students enrolled in the camps;
• Provide support to the Arts Centre’s online registration system (ASAP), used for our Summer Camps and other arts programs;
• Review data and spreadsheets for inconsistencies and overlap.
The Program Assistant may be called upon to provide reception support and other duties as assigned.
• Post-secondary student whose course of study focuses on fine arts, art education, recreation, physical education, or other related field
• Have an interest in community engagement in general, and in families/children in particular
• Proven prior experience working with, supervising, and/or leading children
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Exceptional interpersonal and leadership skills with a positive, friendly outlook
• Strong organization and time management skills with demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities
• Careful attention to detail
• Creative and resourceful with the ability to take initiative and problem solve
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team environment
Conditions of Employment:
• Must be between 19 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment
• Must have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year
• Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, for the duration of the employment
• Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
• This position requires the completion of a successful criminal background check prior to commencing employment
• A valid First Aid Certificate is an asset, but not a requirement.
How to Apply:
Please email your application according to the following guidelines:
• PDF format only with your COVER LETTER and RESUME in the same document
• Please put the title of the job you are applying to, followed by your name in the subject line
• Email to: ProgramMgr@pomoarts.ca
$13.50/hr; 35-hour work week
Contact Email: ProgramMgr@pomoarts.ca