Out On Screen
Apr. 20, 2018
About Out On Screen
Celebrating its 30th Anniversary in 2018, the Vancouver Out On Screen Film & Video Society is a registered charity and professional queer arts organization dedicated to celebrating queer lives through film, education and dialogue. Our vision is of a society where gender and sexual diversity are fully embraced. Our team is passionate about making a difference in our communities and we strive to create a culture that is in line with the values of the communities we serve.
Currently we deliver on our mission with two core programs:
● The annual Vancouver Queer Film Festival is the largest queer arts event in Western Canada, showcasing cutting-edge films from around the world and hosting panels, forums, parties and more.
● Out in Schools is a unique education program that brings film-based anti-bullying workshops to high schools across BC. In 2016, Out in Schools was recognized with a City of Vancouver Award of Excellence for Diversity and Inclusion.
The LGBT2Q+ and allied communities are at the center of everything we do. We are a part of, and do our best to serve, our big diverse queer family in BC. This means that we hold each other and every member of our community with the highest regard and compassion, and practice our values to the best of our ability.
About the Position
The Marketing & Distribution Coordinator works with the Festival Manager and is responsible for developing the VQFF Marketing & Community Engagement Plan and distributing the Festival guide and print marketing throughout Metro Vancouver in accordance with the VQFF's marketing and distribution plan.
This is a student placement position. Candidates must meet Canada Summer Jobs eligibility: aged 15-30, full-time student in previous academic year and intend to return to school full-time in the next academic year.
Located in our office in Downtown Vancouver, on unceded Coast Salish Territories – the Marketing and Distribution Coordinator is a 13 week full-time contract position, running from June 4 to August 31, 2018. This position pays $20.16 per hour. Out On Screen is a certified Living Wage Employer.
The Marketing & Distribution Coordinator reports to the Festival Manager and works collaboratively with the Operations and HR Coordinator and Artistic Directors.
June 4th to August 31st, 2018
37.5 hours per week, additional hours as approved by Supervisor.
- Develop VQFF Marketing & Community Engagement Plan with special attention to:
- Target audiences: People of colour, youth + families, women, and transgender people, and larger LGBTQ+ communities
- Interactive participation: implement social media strategies to drawn in new audiences
- Assist with renewing and developing new relationships with an extensive network of Community Partners to support cross-promotions and shared outreach
- Assist with implementing initiatives as outlined in VQFF Marketing & Community Engagement Plan
- Support e-marketing initiatives, including VQFF website, e-blasts and iPhone/Android app, online ad purchases
- Assist with the coordination of all aspects of the biannual audience survey, from revision of past survey to dissemination
- Assist with content migration of festival listings to website
- Coordinate promotions such as contests and ticket giveaways
- Supervise VQFF tent at outreach events
- Assist street-team marketing initiatives, including sidewalk chalking, and postcard and window displays
- Develop promotional materials distribution strategy
- Coordinate festival guide and promotional material distribution; assist with hiring and supervising poster distributors
- Assist with liaising between designer, corporate relations, and media teams
- Assist with sponsorship deliverables as needed
- Assist with recruiting photographers/videographers to document festival events
- Track guide inventory, deliver materials door-to-door to target neighbourhoods, and replenish supplies.
- Provide reporting on distribution progress, and communicate any requests or messages relayed through staff or businesses wishing to work more closely with the VQFF.
Festival responsibilities (in addition to ongoing responsibilities above):
- Assist with guest relations during Festival
- Cover shifts as Lead Staff + Marketing Role during screenings
- Provide support as a lead staff person leading front-of-house teams as necessary
- Complete and document tasks in project management timelines in an accurate, timely manner
- Keep up-to-date detailed records of revenues and expenses to ensure budgets stay balanced
- Attend and provide status reports at staff meetings
- Post-festival: compile data for outgoing report including results of any surveys, website traffic and social media content analysis
- Keep accurate and easily accessible records of work in order to ensure organizational continuity
- Produce a final report
Other duties as assigned.
• Eligible for the Canada Summer Jobs program (aged 15-30, full-time student in previous academic year and intend to return to school full-time in the next academic year)
• Outgoing; exceptional interpersonal communication skills
• Organized self-starter with an eye for detail
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, results-oriented work environment
• Experience in marketing, promotion, and media platforms
• Understand how to use social media effectively
• Sense of humour a must
• Must have valid BC driver’s license (and access to own vehicle is a definite plus and mileage is reimbursed).
• Involved in or committed to film or arts presentation and queer communities
• A natural story-teller who embodies the values of our team and organization
How to Apply:
Email cover letter and resume, in either PDF or Word format, to firstname.lastname@example.org Please indicate “Marketing & Distribution Coordinator – YOUR NAME” in the subject line. Deadline to apply is April 20, 2018.
Out On Screen strives for meaningful employment from all communities and for our team to reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. Indigenous, people of colour, and people across the spectrums of gender, sexuality, age and abilities are encouraged to apply. We thank all candidates for applying, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Contact Email: email@example.com