Out On Screen
Apr. 20, 2018
About Out On Screen
Celebrating its 30th Anniversary in 2018, the Vancouver Out On Screen Film & Video Society is a registered charity and professional queer arts organization dedicated to celebrating queer lives through film, education and dialogue. Our vision is of a society where gender and sexual diversity are fully embraced. Our team is passionate about making a difference in our communities and we strive to create a culture that is in line with the values of the communities we serve.
Currently we deliver on our mission with two core programs:
● The annual Vancouver Queer Film Festival is the largest queer arts event in Western Canada, showcasing cutting-edge films from around the world and hosting panels, forums, parties and more.
● Out in Schools is a unique education program that brings film-based anti-bullying workshops to high schools across BC. In 2016, Out in Schools was recognized with a City of Vancouver Award of Excellence for Diversity and Inclusion.
The LGBT2Q+ and allied communities are at the center of everything we do. We are a part of, and do our best to serve, our big diverse queer family in BC. This means that we hold each other and every member of our community with the highest regard and compassion, and practice our values to the best of our ability.
About the Position
The Volunteer Engagement Coordinator is responsible for recruiting and managing our fabulous team of Vancouver Queer Film Festival volunteers.
This is a student placement position. Candidates must meet Canada Summer Jobs eligibility: aged 15-30, full-time student in previous academic year and intend to return to school full-time in the next academic year.
Located in our office in Downtown Vancouver, on unceded Coast Salish Territories – the Volunteer Engagement Coordinator is a 12 week full-time contract position, running from June 4 to August 24, 2018. This position pays $20.16 per hour. Out On Screen is a certified Living Wage Employer.
The Volunteer Engagement Coordinator reports to the Operations and HR Coordinator and works collaboratively with the Festival Manager and Artistic Directors.
June 4th to August 24, 2018
37.5 hours per week, additional hours as approved by Supervisor.
- Recruit, train, coordinate, supervise, and support 250+ LGBT2Q+ & allied volunteers under the supervision of the Operations & HR Coordinator
- Outreach to diverse network of Community Partners including ESL schools, and attendance at community outreach events. http://queerfilmfestival.ca/volunteer/
- Act as ambassador in the communities we serve
- Conducting volunteer orientation sessions
- Ensure all volunteers are trained on Festival duties, community service, accessibility practices, and sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Responsible for maintaining and filling online volunteer database schedule
- Ensure Accessibility Volunteers scheduled for each screening. http://queerfilmfestival.ca/see-a-show/accessibility/
- Attending and participating at bi-weekly festival meetings
- Creating a strategy and workplan that is shared with and includes other team members
- Assisting Front of House team and at parties and events
- Supervising and managing volunteers
- Hosting volunteer appreciation event
- Produce a final report
Other duties as assigned
• Eligible for the Canada Summer Jobs program (aged 15-30, full-time student in previous academic year and intend to return to school full-time in the next academic year)
• Outgoing; exceptional interpersonal communication skills
• Organized self-starter with an eye for detail
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, results-oriented work environment
• Experience in volunteer coordination and/or team leadership
• Sense of humour a must
• Must have valid BC driver’s license (and access to own vehicle is a definite plus and mileage is reimbursed).
• Involved in or committed to film or arts presentation and queer communities
• A natural story-teller who embodies the values of our team and organization
How to Apply:
Email cover letter and resume, in either PDF or Word format, to firstname.lastname@example.org Please indicate “Volunteer Coordinator – YOUR NAME” in the subject line. Deadline to apply is April 20, 2018.
Out On Screen strives for meaningful employment from all communities and for our team to reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. Indigenous, people of colour, and people across the spectrums of gender, sexuality, age and abilities are encouraged to apply. We thank all candidates for applying, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Contact Email: email@example.com