West Vancouver Museum
Mar. 30, 2018
The District of West Vancouver invites applications for a temporary 13-week full-time student position as Curatorial Programs Assistant at the West Vancouver Museum, from May 22 through August 18, 2018.
The Curatorial Programs Assistant will assist with the development of the annual West Coast Modern Home Tour and the development of a fall exhibition, and assist in the development of the Museum’s off-site exhibition and related public programs during the District of West Vancouver’s annual Harmony Arts Festival. The Curatorial Programs Assistant will support the day-to-day operations of the Museum, by monitoring the gallery and gift shop, with assistance from other staff and volunteers.
The Curatorial Programs Assistant reports to the Museum Administrator/Curator with the supervision of the Assistant Curator, in organizing the West Coast Modern Home Tour, including contributing research and writing to the tour publication, and supporting participants and staff on the day of the event and in monitoring the gallery. Under the direction of the Museum Administrator/Curator, the Curatorial Programs Assistant will assist with the selection of works for our fall exhibition. During the summer the student will work with the Museum’s collection in the development and installation of the Harmony Arts off-site exhibition. The Student will conduct research to present a public talk or tour of the Museum’s exhibitions.
This position will provide direct hands-on, career-related experience for a student considering a career in museum administration or curatorial practice.
The ideal Curatorial Programs Assistant will be outgoing and sociable, and feel comfortable engaging anyone in formal and informal conversations about art, architecture, and design. In addition, the ideal candidate will:
- be currently enrolled in graduate or undergraduate studies in Art or Art History, Architecture or Architecture History, Arts Administration, or Curatorial or Museum studies
- have experience using PC and Mac operating systems
- be proficient using MS Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint to create, edit, and save documents, Outlook to create, share, and manage e-mail and attachments
- have basic design and/or photo editing skills, using Photoshop and/or InDesign
- have excellent oral communication skills, including an ability to address individuals and groups in formal and informal settings
- have excellent written communication skills, including an ability to effectively use social media including Facebook and Twitter
- preferably have experience coordinating special events, including liaising with vendors, staff, volunteers, media, and participants
Please note that this temporary position is supported by Young Canada Works in Heritage Organizations, and is subject to confirmation of funding. All candidates must meet the Young Canada Works General Student Eligibility Criteria:
- be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada. Note: Non-Canadian students or graduates holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible.
- be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- be between 15* and 30 years of age at the start of employment (*where permissible under provincial/territorial labour laws).
- meet the specific eligibility criteria of the program to which you apply.
- be registered in the YCW online candidate inventory.
- be willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment (minimum 30 hours a week).
- not have another full-time job while employed in a YCW job.
and register with Young Canada Works online (https://young-canada-works.canada.ca/Account/Login).
The District of West Vancouver is an Equal Opportunities Employer and encourages all individuals meeting the qualifications listed above to apply for this position.
How to Apply:
We do not accept applications via email or hard copy. All candidates must apply with a resume and cover letter submitted through the District of West Vancouver’s Career Portal at www.westvancouver.ca/careers.
The deadline for applications is noon on Friday, March 30th, 2018.
Only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted. We thank you in advance for your application.
$15 per hour + 4% in lieu of benefits
Contact Name: Darrin Morrison
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org