West Vancouver Museum
Mar. 30, 2018
The District of West Vancouver invites applications for a temporary 13-week full-time student position as Education Assistant at the West Vancouver Museum, from June 4 through August 31, 2018.
The Education Assistant’s role is to assist with the development and delivery of public programs for children and youth, through the Museum’s year-round education programs. Reporting to the Education Coordinator, the Education Assistant will help to develop new in-house programs for the coming academic year, developing age-appropriate art projects based on Museum exhibitions. In addition, the Education Assistant will help to develop and deliver the Museum-based summer Art and Architecture Camps, supervising students and youth volunteers, and independently researching, scripting, and delivering one class each week on a special topic. The Education Assistant will build on the experience gained through those programs, to lead the planning, development and delivery of a future program for children or youth, conducting independent research on works in the Museum or exhibiting artists. The Education Assistant will also support the Museum’s off-site programs for the Harmony Arts Festival, by developing an afternoon program for children or youth. The Education Assistant will also support the day-to-day operations of the Museum, by jointly monitoring the gallery and gift shop with another summer student, and with assistance from other staff and volunteers.
This position will provide hands-on, career-related experience for a student considering a career in art education and museum/gallery programming for young audiences.
The ideal Education Assistant will be outgoing and sociable, and feel comfortable engaging children and youth in age-appropriate and enthusiastic conversations about art, architecture, and design. In addition, the ideal candidate will:
- be currently enrolled in graduate or undergraduate studies in Art or Art History, Architecture or Architecture History, or Arts Education
- have experience using PC and Mac operating systems
- be proficient using MS Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint to create, edit, and save documents, and Outlook to create, share, and manage e-mail and attachments
- have excellent oral communication skills, including an ability to address individuals and groups
- have excellent written communication skills, including an understanding of differences in writing for child, youth, and adult audiences
- preferably have experience developing and delivering arts-based and/or exhibition-related programs for child and/or youth audiences
Please note that this temporary position is supported by Young Canada Works in Heritage Organizations and is subject to confirmation of funding. Candidates must meet the Young Canada Works General Student Eligibility Criteria:
- be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada. Note: Non-Canadian students or graduates holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible.
- be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- be between 15* and 30 years of age at the start of employment (*where permissible under provincial/territorial labour laws).
- meet the specific eligibility criteria of the program to which you apply.
- be registered in the YCW online candidate inventory.
- be willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment (minimum 30 hours a week).
- not have another full-time job while employed in a YCW job.
and register with Young Canada Works online (https://young-canada-works.canada.ca/Account/Login).
The District of West Vancouver is an Equal Opportunities Employer and encourages all individuals meeting the qualifications listed above to apply for this position.
How to Apply:
We do not accept applications via email or hard copy. All candidates must apply with a resume and cover letter submitted through the District of West Vancouver’s Career Portal at www.westvancouver.ca/careers.
The deadline for applications is noon on Friday, March 30th, 2018.
Only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted. We thank you in advance for your application.
$15/hour + 4% in lieu of benefits
Contact Name: Darrin Morrison
Contact Email: email@example.com