City of New Westminster
Mar. 21, 2018
The City of New Westminster is seeking an auxiliary Exhibit Preparator to work on an on-call basis to support the fabrication, installation and de-installation of exhibits in the Anvil Centre’s museum spaces. This is skilled technical and trades work involving the construction of gallery spaces and installation of a variety of exhibitions and displays.
*The successful candidate will be required to work a flexible work schedule, including evenings, weekends and holidays as required to support operational needs.
The work of this position involves demolition, construction, basic carpentry, dry walling, patching, painting, finishing and similarly related tasks as well as the installation and safe handling of AV equipment, art and artifacts.
If many of the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
• You have a positive, energetic “can-do” approach to work
• You have completed Grade 12
• You have completed two years of working in an art gallery, theatre or museum setting
• You have experience with wall building and repair as well as a good understanding of object and artwork care and handling techniques and procedures
• You have demonstrated experience or training in one or more trades relevant to the work, plus sound related experience in display and exhibition work or an equivalent combination of education and experience
• You must be capable of lifting 50lbs and be comfortable working on ladders
• You have the ability to work in a busy environment and be sensitive to time constraints
• You have excellent teamwork and communication skills
• You have the ability to work from verbal instructions, rough sketches, and blueprints with considerable knowledge of the techniques, materials and methods used in two and three dimensional exhibit display work
• You have working knowledge of the operation of PC or MAC-based computer hardware and software applications related to museum and art exhibitions and displays
• It would be a bonus if you have experience working with audio/visual systems and good experience with the fundamentals of electricity
• You have the ability to pass and maintain a clear Police Information Check
• You have the ability to work non-standard hours as operationally required
• You have considerable knowledge of the standard practices, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in exhibit development and fabrication and demonstrated understanding of hazards and necessary safety precautions involved in the work
• You have a valid BC Class 5 Drivers’ License
How to Apply:
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #18-42, by March 21, 2018 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: (604)527-4619 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
$24.82 - $29.15 per hour plus 12% in lieu of all benefits