Maple Ridge Historical Society
Apr. 22, 2018
Maple Ridge Historical Society
The history of the museum begins with the Maple Ridge Historical Society. Formed in 1957, the Maple Ridge Historical Society has devoted fifty years to the protection, preservation and sharing of all forms of our community heritage. The Historical Society Board of Directors and the members of the Historical Society continue to support Maple Ridge’s community heritage.
To provide current, former and potential residents of our community with the means to make our history their own through the collection, preservation, and sharing of our historic images, documents and artifacts.
The Museum Curator is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the Maple Ridge Museum and Haney House Museum for the Maple Ridge Historical Society [hereafter referred to as MRHS]. The Museum Curator reports to the Museum Director. S/he is responsible for managing an annual budget and work plan, as approved by the Director.
Museum Curator is committed to the collection and preservation of the material history of Maple Ridge: using professional documentation and conservation standards, to preserve archival materials, while providing access to them for present and future generations.
• Responsible for the development, conservation and documentation of the community’s collections of artifacts, specimens, and archival materials.
• Plan, develop, and implement exhibitions and displays.
• Conduct historical research and prepare archival findings for publication and dissemination.
• Provide research and reference services.
• Assist with the development and implementation of community heritage events and programs.
• Provide community access to the museum through organized group and drop-in public tours.
FINANCE & ADMINISTRATION
• Supervise, train and evaluate junior staff and volunteers in accord with MRHS policies.
• Prepare departmental budget annually with Operations Committee and Director.
• Monitor receipts and expenditures and cash flow; report to the Director at regular meetings, or as requested.
• Facilitate annual strategic planning process with Museum Committee and board involvement, including review of operating grant agreement.
• Bring all appropriate issues, including policy decisions to the director in a timely manner so that they are addressed and resolved.
• Apply, in a timely fashion, and write all summer student funding grants from federal government sources as well as project grants as needs arise; keep Director informed of outcomes.
• Research potential new sources of funds for new and existing programs; bring to Director for decision to apply.
• Write and revise policy as required/directed by the Director.
• Act as a liaison to the City of Maple Ridge as required.
• Work with the MRHS to ensure that the agency has a visible and effective public image by regular use of the media, speaking engagements before service clubs/organizations, and presence at all appropriate public functions.
• Enable staff and volunteers who interact with the public to do so in an informed and effective manner.
• Attend and provide staff support for Operations Committee meetings.
• Assist MRHS Program Committee with annual public event planning and implementation.
• Attend other Historical Society meetings as requested by the Board.
• Minimum five years’ experience in museum management, including collections management and exhibit development; experience supervising paid staff and volunteers; experience working with a board of directors.
• Bachelor of Arts or Masters/diploma in Museum Studies field
• Working knowledge of not-for-profit fiscal management, including budgeting and grant writing.
• Class 5 Drivers license.
• Demonstrated ability in public speaking, clear and effective written and oral communication, and effective group skills.
• Computer skills: proficient in MS Office, WordPress and all social media platforms.
• Personal stability, maturity, optimism and a sense of humour.
How to Apply:
Send cover letter and resume in ONE PDF document to Museum Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
DEADLINE: April 22, 2018
35 hours/week, Salary: $29.00/hr, with benefit package
Contact Name: Val Patenaude
Contact Email: email@example.com
Contact Phone: 604-463-5311